Cinemax penny deal ending??

rjousuf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
just got a letter from dish, stating that my penny cinemax deal is about to end this december and it will go back up to $13 or so. I think its the 2nd year i had this deal of penny per year. Did anyone get the deal for 3rd year at that rate or is that the end of it. I have no other premium channels but with foreign channels, locals and hd channels, my bill is about $175. what are the chances of getting the deal again for another year at a penny? thanks

I'm not sure that I've watched 1 whole movie the entire time I've had cinemax. It was free though, so that was cool.

Kind of bums me out...I joined up the first week of June '09 and was counting on having those channels till next June. I just canceled HBO & Showtime because the promo ended. My wife wanted me to keep them, but I wasn't about to pay $22/month for the same movies over & over & over...had her calm down with the fact that we had the 5 Cinemax channels and I would look into joining Netflex. Now come January, I'm sure I'll have to re-discuss the Premium channels issue again with her. The irritating thing is she very rarely even watched those channels, her main viewing is Lifetime & TLC, but she just wants to say we got Premium channels...I'm hoping Netflex will work out good for us.
For whatever reason, or whoever ended the Cinemax promo, Dish still should have at least guaranteed the promo for the amount of time each subscriber had left on it. Dish could have stopped offering the promo a while back. They had to have knowledge that the end was coming...it's not fair to the subscribers who are being short changed on this deal, specially when Auto Pay was a stipulation of the offer.
Ghpr13:(

I thought that you use to get Cinemax for free
when you subscribed to HBO. Like you would get
The Movie Channel for free when
you subscribed to Showtime?

just got a letter from dish, stating that my penny cinemax deal is about to end this december and it will go back up to $13 or so. I think its the 2nd year i had this deal of penny per year. Did anyone get the deal for 3rd year at that rate or is that the end of it. I have no other premium channels but with foreign channels, locals and hd channels, my bill is about $175. what are the chances of getting the deal again for another year at a penny? thanks

Does the letter tell you the exact date when the channels will be taken off? Because that's what I would like to know.

Ghpr13, from reading this message board and the other one, if you started the Cinemax penny deal last June, you should be getting the channels till next June, then they'll come off automatically.

the letter i got the other day just said it would drop cinemax next month. no real date given. it said if i wanted to continue cinemax i needed to call. so it will be an automatic drop off your account. looking back i started mine in december 2 years ago. so next month would be right for me.

Post a copy of the letter so we can see what they say will happen when they end the deal.
I got an e-mail telling me it was ending.... No date, just said "soon".
Dear HALL,

We hope you have been enjoying your Cinemax programming at the special promotional price for only a penny a year. This is a courtesy reminder that effective this month the promotional period has expired and the Cinemax programming will be removed from your account.

Nobody offers more variety and top Hollywood hit movies than Cinemax, including Frost/Nixon, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire and Marley & Me. You don't want to miss out on the best value in movie premiums.

For only $12.99 a month, or less if you bundle Cinemax with other premiums, you can continue to receive all of the great programming you have come to enjoy. Simply log in at Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.888.825.2557 when your Cinemax channels expire and add the programming back to your account.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer.
Within a few days, the channels were gone.

Got the same email and it was turned off the next day. MY second and third accounts in my name, for my parents and aunt, still have it on their accounts. So for now it looks like it is still in effect. But I could get emails for those accounts any day now. I do remember that they renewed my aunt's account for Cinemax about a month ago. IF they turn it off it is no great loss. I have decided that the price for Premium movie packs are too high now and are just going higher. So I will not be subscribing to them any longer . The only show I will miss is Real time with Bill Mayer and True Blood. But I can buy the dvd set of the season when it hits stores. As for regular programming packs , they are fast approaching the point of no return in pricing as well. With the ability to watch tv online the whole high priced concept of cable/satellite companies programming packs are becoming obsolete. I have already cut back to top 250 and down to two receivers from 3 dvrs . I will probably cut down to top 200 once the loyalty 10.00 credits go away and they do their annual price hike in February. Eventually I will cut down to top 100 and then just locals or the welcome pack. I can't justify paying over 90.00 or 100.00 a month for basic cable when I used to pay just 69.99 for AEP just 10 years ago.

Ghpr13, from reading this message board and the other one, if you started the Cinemax penny deal last June, you should be getting the channels till next June, then they'll come off automatically.

Tecmo SB Guy,
Thanks for that info. I hope that's the way it will be, but what makes me wonder is when I checked my programming on Dish's web site, under Premium Channels it states "
Please call 1-888-884-2741 to change your annual Cinemax for a Penny promotion." It didn't show that before.
Ghpr13:confused:

***You get to keep the cinemax promo for exactly one year from when you got it. Dish Network is sending out the letter to let there customers know that it will be ending. It will get automatically taken off so you don't have to pay a $5 downgrade fee. I got my letter and called in the other day. **

I got a letter saying it would drop off next month, if I remember right I added it towards the end of December.

Tecmo SB Guy,
Thanks for that info. I hope that's the way it will be, but what makes me wonder is when I checked my programming on Dish's web site, under Premium Channels it states "
Please call 1-888-884-2741 to change your annual Cinemax for a Penny promotion." It didn't show that before.
Ghpr13:confused:

Mine has said that for a while now

I just went back and dug up my captured chat session from May 2008 when I did the Cinemax deal and found this interesting snippet..

(03) Diana B: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in HD and DVR. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Diana B: Thank you for your time.
(03) Diana B: I see that you already have Autopay on the account to enroll into the Cinemax for a penny promotion.
(03) Diana B: Do you want me to go ahead and add the promotion to your account?
Me: I just spoke with another rep and he said to go online and sign up to get it...
Me: yes please
(03) Diana B: I have added the promotion to your account.
Me: when does this "promotion" end ?
(03) Diana B: The promotion ends on 1/1/2010.

Got that email around 11/6, because I had read on another post about it being extended on the top left hand side of my recent statement, had a dish chat with CS. Could not convince them it had been extended (it was on the statement in front of them) and it was turned off the next day. Wrote a cordial email to the CEO, on 11/8, Cinamax was back on and an email saying they had fix the problem. Little over a year ago, I had to write the CEO to get Cinemax for a $.01because CS would not let me have it because I am on absolute hd. So check your statement for 1 year renewal and good luck to you.

Funny...I got the same letter yesterday, so I called in to see if it was actually ending, or was it because I had temporarily taken off my AutoPay. I was told that I had it for a year, so it's just expiring for me, since it was good for only a year.

I told the rep that couldn't be true, because I know I had it for about 2 years. He said "yeah....well I do see it is ending...we're not able to continue those promotions". I mean, he was very nice and professional, but now that I read this, I see he was either grasping at straws, or was just totally misinformed.

Oh well, I'm not complaining. I did have it free, for all practial purposes, for a year. After all, things could be worse. I could still be stuck on DirecTV! :)

Funny...I got the same letter yesterday, so I called in to see if it was actually ending, or was it because I had temporarily taken off my AutoPay. I was told that I had it for a year, so it's just expiring for me, since it was good for only a year.

I told the rep that couldn't be true, because I know I had it for about 2 years. He said "yeah....well I do see it is ending...we're not able to continue those promotions". I mean, he was very nice and professional, but now that I read this, I see he was either grasping at straws, or was just totally misinformed.

Oh well, I'm not complaining. I did have it free, for all practial purposes, for a year. After all, things could be worse. I could still be stuck on DirecTV! :)

Or Cable...AAAAHHHHHHH:eek:
Ghpr13:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)