Circular to linear and all that jazz...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Ok smart guys heres one for ya. I put ads on craigslist often for people wanting old dishes cleared off their property. I get amazing responses :) Last week i went and picked up an old super dish. I already have a super dish, its one of the fiberglass channel master built ones. This one is a newer metal one with different LNBs. The linear LNB that was for 105 i believe can be taken apart and rotated to move the wave guide and from what i understand makes it a circular lnb. Looking closely at the white hockey puck on the top there are 2 lines about 45 degrees apart. one says LP and the other CP, which i assume mean linear and circular. So i went ahead and rotated it and threw it on my superdish that was at 97 and moved it over to 119/118.8 to try to see if i could get the congrats your on 118 screen. No luck, it was a really nice weekend out so i wanted to play with the dish in the yard to see if i could get some sun but i dont know where my problem is. Im sure i rotated it correctly and all but im not sure if i have it pointed wrong or if the problem is in my receiver, its also a DP LNB and i went over that last time with iceberg about how to use the bandstacked lnbs with my receiver so i dont think thats the problem. Has anyone done anything like this and have some input or should i just give up? I guess its possible that i dont have it aimed right but i am wondering if when i aim it, will it show the the sat ID in the menu?

I sent you a PM (The site has a lot of good information, but they are a hack site :() .

I was looking for similar information last week, I wanted to modify a LNB to scan 118 for any FTA channels, but I ran out of time and never started the project.
So I am trying to weight the benefits, is it worth the effort to modify an LNB for one channel saying "You are pointing at...." :)

I decided to try a modification, I tried the Fortec Star Universal LNB with two tennis ball can lids cut to the right size and I put it into the "feedhorn" of the LNB. (I think the lid is to thin so a few more layers might help, or a better dielectric plate).

About 150 channels scanned in, only two which were FTA :(. The signal level for the two were at the border line for reception, 66% and 70% on my Coolsat 6000.

11804 V/R 20000
VPID - 5154
APID - 5155
PCR - 5154

Is the "Congratulations! You have a DISH system pointed at 118 W.L."

EDIT: Attached (118.8 W Vertical / Right) spectrum scans. Top image is the LNB without the dielectric plate, bottom image is the same LNB with the dielectric plate.

The dielectric plate makes a big difference in the spectrum scan! :)

Attachments

• dielectric118.JPG
    dielectric118.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Yup your right only 2, I got it playing around after work. Look at this RIG setup! hehe

My problem turned out being with out those peices of wood, i wasnt in the focal point :)

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 226
Nice job! What size dish did you uses? and what was your signal quality like (high, average, low) ?

i used my old superdish, the fiberglass channel master built model. its in my gallery photos if you want to look. getting 60% on the strong tps, 40% on the others. nice to know i can rotate that lnb to go circ to lin and back. think im going to move it over to scan some feeds this weekend, 97 is getting old for now and no reason to stay on 118 heh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)