Clarification needed

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
So I'm interested in adding another TV to my account with Dish which currently just features a Wally with EHD in the living room.

This new TV would go in the bedroom and therefore I contacted Dish support on Facebook over the weekend asking what the cost would be.

I was informed I could pay $95 for a technician to come out and install a second Wally or add the Protection plan and it would be free. The Wally as it was explained to me costs nothing but I "would be required" to sign a new 2 year contract. The additional outlet however runs $10.

At that point, I asked if I did in fact agree to sign up for additional 2 year's would I get the price lock guarantee again once my current contract ends in July. I was told 'no'.

This reply IMO makes signing a new contract useless and a mute point.

My question to the community here, if I wait til my current contract expires in July and then request the new outlet (Wally) will the price lock guarantee on a new 2 year contract be available to me or will Dish say the same thing again? I mean honestly, what's the point of getting tied into a contract with no additional benefits?

Thanks

The point is that you get the Wally and its installation for free for that 2 year contract. Your other option is to purchase the Wally yourself and install it yourself and there is no contract. You would still have to pay a monthly fee for the second location.

Reactions: pattykay
In the end decided signing a new contract wasn't for me and instead purchased a second Wally thru Dish for $100. Lower monthly fee when compared to leasing $7 vs $10/monthy and just a $10 tech visit to install a new outlet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the SatelliteGuys app!

In the end decided signing a new contract wasn't for me and instead purchased a second Wally thru Dish for $100. Lower monthly fee when compared to leasing $7 vs $10/monthy and just a $10 tech visit to install a new outlet.

If it's not too late the Wally is from $70 to $85 at many places. Free shipping $84 Walmart. $79 Camping World also free shipping. Amazon $71 free shipping $81 with remote.

It's $7 a month whether you own it or you borrow it from Dish.

Hmm, as it was explained to me via chat "leasing" was $10 extra per month compared to owning and paying $7. Odd. Also if I bought from an outside vendor would Dish come out for $10 (DHP) to do a new outlet? I highly doubt it.

Hmm, as it was explained to me via chat "leasing" was $10 extra per month compared to owning and paying $7. Odd. Also if I bought from an outside vendor would Dish come out for $10 (DHP) to do a new outlet? I highly doubt it.

It's $7 a month whether you buy it or borrow it. And that's a fact.

If you borrow it (they call it a lease) then you have to agree to a 2 year commitment. The $10 service call is because you're paying for the protection plan. It's $95 if you're not on the plan.

So would Dish come out for a new outlet if I bought off Amazon?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends who you talk to on the phone and who they send out. IMHO unless you plan to turn the receiver activation on and off there's no advantage to buying one.

I just checked Amazon and they list a 211K for $89.99 and $8.54 shipping. That doesn't sound like much of a bargain. Doesn't Dish charge $99?

At that point, I asked if I did in fact agree to sign up for additional 2 year's would I get the price lock guarantee again once my current contract ends in July. I was told 'no'.

This reply IMO makes signing a new contract useless and a mute point.

My question to the community here, if I wait til my current contract expires in July and then request the new outlet (Wally) will the price lock guarantee on a new 2 year contract be available to me or will Dish say the same thing again? I mean honestly, what's the point of getting tied into a contract with no additional benefits?
Just so you are aware, even if you had agreed to the new contract, you could still renegotiate a new contract for the price lock in July when your original contract expires. I was still under contract from an equipment upgrade in 2015 when I signed up for the Renewal Offer with the two-year price lock in 2016. The new contract only extends your commitment by the number of months between the times you signed the two contracts. So, if you sign a brand-new contract now, and then sign another two-year contract in July, that second contract would only extend your commitment by three months compared to the term you would have agreed to with the first contract. Since you are already under contract, and you are planning to renew your contract again when that one expires, it would basically be like the contract required for the free equipment upgrade would have no effect at all.

Just so you are aware, even if you had agreed to the new contract, you could still renegotiate a new contract for the price lock in July when your original contract expires. I was still under contract from an equipment upgrade in 2015 when I signed up for the Renewal Offer with the two-year price lock in 2016. The new contract only extends your commitment by the number of months between the times you signed the two contracts. So, if you sign a brand-new contract now, and then sign another two-year contract in July, that second contract would only extend your commitment by three months compared to the term you would have agreed to with the first contract. Since you are already under contract, and you are planning to renew your contract again when that one expires, it would basically be like the contract required for the free equipment upgrade would have no effect at all.
Wait... what?

Wait... what?

Each new contract extends your commitment until two years from the date you sign the new contract, not two years from the date your old contract is set to expire, like some people mistakenly believe. You can have more than one contract at the same time for different things. So, the timing of any contract required for a free equipment upgrade would not matter in your case, since you are already under contract for the price lock, and you are planning to sign a new contract to get the price lock again when that one expires. So, you would have been under contract the entire time anyway, so the additional contract for the equipment upgrade (that would overlap the other contracts) doesn't matter.

Reactions: Yragha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)