Clarity of SD on widescreen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jimi

Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Is anyone else experiencing poor clarity (fuzzy lines) for SD broadcasts, movies, etc. on a widescreen model (50"+) wiht Dish Network? They told me that the 265 software upgrade would clear it up, but that has not been the case. I'm thinking of dropping Dish for VOOM.

Some channels suck. Some are very good. It has been that way for all versions. It will always be that way. SD is SD. It has half the resolution of HD.

I dropped Dish SD about 7 months ago, I got tired of trying to watch the fuzz they call "digital" TV. Voom is awesome, I can actually watch their SD channels on my 110" screen. They have 3 or 4 SD channels that are severely overcompressed but for the most part the SD's have much more detail and are crisp compared to Dishfuzzwork. :D

BTW, a software upgrade will not help the PQ, it is due to severe overcompression. :mad:

E* SD looks very good on my 56" JVC HDTV using a DVI cable from my 811 receiver. Once I made video adjustments at the TV level, SD looked very good. Of coarse HD looks outstanding!

I have an 65 HDTV and some are acceptable... some are awful.
StarTrek TNG on Spike is the pits...

I don't have a "TV", I have a high definition front projector throwing a 110" image, that's the difference. Dish SD just doesn't cut it at that size but Voom SD is acceptable at that size. If I want to watch Dish SD, I have to use "Through" mode, which displays the native resolution of the signal, effectively giving me about a 42" picture on my screen, then it is watchable from 14' away.

BTW, my projector is properly calibrated, HD looks 3D on my system and DVD's look fabulous.

Just hooked my 811 last Friday and wasn't to happy with the SD. I did adjust the standard setting on my set and helped considerably. Haven't decided if I want to get my Sony ISF calibrated or not, cause it sure looks good to me. Color is exceptionally good and PQ is a little soft but very acceptable, and of course HD is excellent 99% of the time.

DarrellP said:
I don't have a "TV", I have a high definition front projector throwing a 110" image, that's the difference. ....

Wow. I'm so impressed. Is everyone else really impressed?

Jimi said:
Is anyone else experiencing poor clarity (fuzzy lines) for SD broadcasts, movies, etc. on a widescreen model (50"+) wiht Dish Network? They told me that the 265 software upgrade would clear it up, but that has not been the case. I'm thinking of dropping Dish for VOOM.
Evidently you have a 811 but what kind of display? Which output-to-input are you using for SD?

If your using the component (Y Pb Pr) or DVI output the 811 upconverts SD to 1080i or 720p. It should look pretty good if everything is properly calibrated. I use a 61" SONY CRT RPTV for demo and it looks fine. (BTW, if your set is CRT you probably don't want to use the DVI - the component will probably work better.)

If you're switching to S-Video or composite for SD you might not be satisfied. Most sets try to upconvert the 480i to 480p, 720p or 960i and many do a very poor job using cheap "line doublers." Some sets allow you do defeat (turn off) the line doubler in their set up menu. If you can do this you might like the picture better that way. Certainly you should turn down the "Sharpness" control if you havn't already done so because it will boost the video noise.

But on a lot of widescreen HD CRT RPTV sets SD material will never look as good as it does on an "old fashioned" SD display. That's because the CRTs are only using about 55% of their resolution in the SD mode and it's being processed by a poor line-doubler and "blown up" on a bigger screen which tends to reveal more of the artifacts. And digital displays like plasmas, LCDs, and DLPs generate more noise with SD material.

JohnDoe#2 said:
(BTW, if your set is CRT you probably don't want to use the DVI - the component will probably work better.)

This myth keeps getting blown out of proportion. I have a CRT RPTV, and SD on the 811 is NIGHT AND DAY better through DVI. There are way too many variables involved to make a blanket statement like that.

hancox said:
This myth keeps getting blown out of proportion. I have a CRT RPTV, and SD on the 811 is NIGHT AND DAY better through DVI. There are way too many variables involved to make a blanket statement like that.
I said "probably". That was deliberate in order for it not to be a "blanket" statement.

But there's no valid reason to expect an improvement with DVI on an analog display and most professionals find that, indeed, the wideband component video inputs provide the superior picture on most of them.

YMMV. And your own subjective preferences are what should should matter to you.

BarryO said:
I might be envious, but then I note that he has to live in Woodburn, and I feel better. ;)
Thanks Barry, BTW, I don't live in the slums. :D Believe it or not, there are actually some nice neighborhoods in Woodburn, when I find one, I'll tell you where they are. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts