Class Action Lawsuit against Dish for Dropping Voom?

shreeeeeek, eeeeeeeeeeeek!

I can hardly wait for We HD... but seriously... I don't think most women care as much about HD as we men. My beloved mother-in-law has been caught in the act of watching A&E SD on 50 occasions while babysitting in my home. I keep showing her the HD channel with the better picture quality (even if it isn't an HD program) and she just doesn't get it. She keeps tuning to the SD version of the channel.... same with TNT... She is a huge Lifetime watcher so I am sure when we get Lifetime HD or Lifetime Movie Network HD, she'll still watch the SD version of the channel. I just think most women don't appreciate HD. Like, many of them don't see that much of a difference.

Most HD channels up until now have been aimed at men (sports networks, History channel, Discovery channels, SciFi, etc). It'll be interesting to see if the women start demanding new HD channels from their providers the way men do. I haven't heard much uproar yet.

But anyway... AMC HD would be great to get with DirecTV. My cable provider (BHN) aired uncut episodes of that wonderful show "Breaking Bad" on their HD Showcase on demand channel. What a great show. I'm not sure of all things why they decided to air Breaking Bad HD since they don't even offer AMC HD, but I wasn't complaining. Hopefully DirecTV will get this soon. I did however watch an episode on the regular AMC of Breaking Bad and they cut out the foul language. Hopefully AMC HD won't do that. The show was much better aired the way it was meant to be while in HD.

As far as IFC, I don't really watch the channel. Don't they either have commercials or cut out sex and language? It seems I remember watching something on there once and being pissed about them cutting out parts or something. When I watch a movie, I want to watch the actual movie.

You know how you fix the mother law watching the sd channels? You lock them out and only allow the hd channels in their lower mapped numbers- with DISH. I don't have any Sd channels in my guide if their is the hd equvialent. On Directv hd receiver I have the option enabled which eliminates the sd channels and only allows the hd version . It works the same and no more sd channels.

You know how you fix the mother law watching the sd channels? You lock them out and only allow the hd channels in their lower mapped numbers- with DISH. I don't have any Sd channels in my guide if their is the hd equvialent. On Directv hd receiver I have the option enabled which eliminates the sd channels and only allows the hd version . It works the same and no more sd channels.

If so many of those HD channels weren't stretch-o-vision I would agree. However, Biography, A&E, TBS, HGTV and Food Network are often unwatchable in stretch mode. Too bad Dish doesn't have a "narrow/unstretch" feature on its receivers operable via the format key.

Well.... this brings up another thing. I have DirecTV premiere and bare bones BHN HD digital cable (meaning no premiums, just standard, digital, and HD). She refuses to watch the DirecTV with all the bells and whistles because she doesn't know the channel numbers. I printed out a handy DirecTV channel guide .pdf with the channels she likes highlighted (MSNBC, Lifetime, TNT, A&E, Hallmark, etc.). I did take advantage of the DirecTV guide option to hide SD duplicates. The problem is, she always uses the BHN because she is familiar with it. BHN doesn't have the standard def and HD channels side by side in the guide and you can't block SD duplicates. They have the HD channels all located in a block in the 700's though, and I have shown her. Even at home she watches the lower 99 and doesn't watch the available channels in HD that she is paying for. I think the father-in-law knows about the HD channels but doesn't bother to fight with her. He just lets her have her way. Another thing they do at home that I don't like is stretch the picture to eliminate the bars. Yuck! I guess there is no hope at all for her.

About the only thing I could do with BHN is block out the SD versions of the channels in the parental control settings. haha, but I would only confuse her.

If so many of those HD channels weren't stretch-o-vision I would agree. However, Biography, A&E, TBS, HGTV and Food Network are often unwatchable in stretch mode. Too bad Dish doesn't have a "narrow/unstretch" feature on its receivers operable via the format key.

I have my DirecTV guide setup to block the SD versions and if the HD version isn't HD and is horribly stretched, I just don't watch it. There is enough other stuff on that is watchable. I just skip the stretched crap.

Thankfully, all the channels don't stretch the non-HD/widescreen stuff. HBO2 HD had a movie on earlier that was not in HD and it actually had the black bars.

Thankfully, all the channels don't stretch the non-HD/widescreen stuff. HBO2 HD had a movie on earlier that was not in HD and it actually had the black bars.

HBO AFAIK never was stretch-o-vision. They are just not very fond of OAR and tend to do open matte and zoom/crop 2:35:1 movies.

Strech-o-vision = Toon, Food, HGTV, Biography, A&E, History, TBS and TNT.

Not all Warner properties stretch. National Geographic joins HBO and Cinemax in the side black bars are okay crowd.

Paramount seems to be taking a stand with the channels. All of their movies tend to be OAR on Showtime (Black Snake Moan), TNT (Titanic), Bravo (Clear and Present Danger).

Serious or not? Hmmmm...

I hold in my hand an oversize 11½"x17" coated heavyweight stock super-glossy full-color three-panel gatefold promotional brochure featuring VOOM (and other) HD channels highlighted in bright white stripes reversed out of the much darker background field. The SD channels are in white type against alternating dark gray and solid black stripes, much less pronounced. This item was furnished by DISH Network when it was promoting VOOM as its HD flagship centerpiece, and in my mind (key words here), this functioned very much as a contractural sub-clause. In the past, a simple single-sided two-color paperstock sheet served as a printed channel line-up guide. As a graphic designer, I interpret this pricey glossy promo card as something quite special by comparison.

I would never suggest that sports fans aren't entitled to view their preferences in television fare, but I would point out that they might be a bit less giddy about their commitment with DISH if they suddenly found their favorite sports channels yanked from the line-up. I don't see this as a case of Americans cavalierly champing at the bit to sue at the drop of a hat. In my mind's eye, I can see crusty ol' Judge Wapner admonishing both plaintiffs and defendants alike as to what exactly it is that makes a contract valid in the first place - a "meeting of the minds."

For those folks who signed up just a month ago, and who may be holding one of those glossy promo cards in their hands right now, and who found the esthetic standards of the unparalleled VOOM channels so much more than they ever expected to encounter on their TV screens, this must be a very disconcerting turn of events, indeed! For many, it's not about the razor-clarity of the HD signal, which admittedly counts for something. It's about having a series of channels that finally, after FORTY years, contravene Newton Minnow's "vast wasteland" assessment of the entirety of television programming fare.

A minor contractural tenet consisting of a couple lines of disclaimer-style protective language doth not a presumptive argument make. There is some risk in the way that corporations interact with their customers, and there is a place where that risk is evaluated and weighed against the interests of all parties to their comutual contracts. In the absence of understanding, sensitivity, and fair treatment on the part of the corporation, litigation is a reasonable way for those who feel grievously wronged to arrive at a proper assessment of the situation, particularly if there really hasn't been a complete "meeting of the minds." As I said, I hold that the channel line-up card is a strong signal of just what it is DISH was asking me to commit to. And I presumed (foolishly, apparently) that they were committed to the same thing from their end.

If litigation over this issue is considered "petty," I can only wonder how it can be considered reasonable to spend $100 or more per month to insure 300 channels of TV viewing fare plus some premium movie and sports venues. Either all of it is decadent indulgence of a petty nature, or its our accepted way of life. You can't have it both ways. The FCC has given our signal providers enough bandwidth to furnish each of us with the viewing fare we enjoy. Sports is OK by me. Now, can I have my GALLERY 24-7 art programming back? How about my TREASURE collectibles programming? How about my RAVE music and my superior ANIMANIA animations and my RUSH Xtreme sports? Please.

"Meeting of the minds..."

....For those folks who signed up just a month ago, and who may be holding one of those glossy promo cards in their hands right now, and who found the esthetic standards of the unparalleled VOOM channels so much more than they ever expected to encounter on their TV screens, this must be a very disconcerting turn of events, indeed! .... It's about having a series of channels that finally, after FORTY years, contravene Newton Minnow's "vast wasteland" assessment of the entirety of television programming fare.

.... In the absence of understanding, sensitivity, and fair treatment on the part of the corporation, litigation is a reasonable way for those who feel grievously wronged to arrive at a proper assessment of the situation, particularly if there really hasn't been a complete "meeting of the minds." As I said, I hold that the channel line-up card is a strong signal of just what it is DISH was asking me to commit to. And I presumed (foolishly, apparently) that they were committed to the same thing from their end.

If litigation over this issue is considered "petty," I can only wonder how it can be considered reasonable to spend $100 or more per month to insure 300 channels of TV viewing fare plus some premium movie and sports venues. Either all of it is decadent indulgence of a petty nature, or its our accepted way of life. You can't have it both ways. The FCC has given our signal providers enough bandwidth to furnish each of us with the viewing fare we enjoy. Sports is OK by me. Now, can I have my GALLERY 24-7 art programming back? How about my TREASURE collectibles programming? How about my RAVE music and my superior ANIMANIA animations and my RUSH Xtreme sports? Please.

Thank you for being so extremely well spoken. This is the heart of my argument all along. The only reason I feel we as customers should resort to something so drastic as a lawsuit, is simply because we are being royally screwed now on HD content that is true HD, unique, and interesting. Dish Network in reneging on their end of the deal. (And no I wouldn't sue a station because they dropped my favorite show, this is entirely different).

In the 4 weeks that I had the Voom channels, I DVR'd:
-The Cure Live in Concert (which looked AMAZING)
-Depche Mode Concert (again colors and picture stunning)
-Countless horror movies including; The Fury, Day the Earth Stood Still, Evil Dead 1&2, Hellraiser
(Granted they showed these repeatedly, but so does HDNet & MGM).
-f**king Koyansqutsi. sh*t to see that film in HD was unreal!!! (Am I going to see that film on Bravo/A&E/MGM??
etc.etc.etc.

What we the customers have been given as a replacement is so completely sub-par on so many levels that it is truly insulting. Rant all you want about the repeats that Voom did, but at 2am, they were true to their word for HD content, showing a feature film in glorious 1080i. Sure it may have been a bit compressed, but sh*t, if you turn on the weather channel, CNBC, or Bravo at 2am, what will you see.
PAID PROGRAMMING for the Ronco f**king broccoli steamer.

Is that why I upgraded my Basic dish package to HD, paying an additional $20 a month for? A f**king broccoli steamer? What's next for the HD line-up? QVC and HSN?

Last, the reason I am so passionate about this issue is because HD television is new and I TRULY FEEL this is a crossroads for it. Why? Anybody remember what cable looked like 20-30 years ago. It was filled with COMMERCIAL FREE stations that were FREE, included in your cable package. Slowly over time, they've been replaced with non stop commercial riddled crap that is more profit centered for the cable corporations. We the consumer have been left with a wasteland of televised elephant poop. Some of the Voom stations were the answer to that elephant poop, showing quality, unique programming that you could not find anywhere else.

I would never suggest that sports fans aren't entitled to view their preferences in television fare, but I would point out that they might be a bit less giddy about their commitment with DISH if they suddenly found their favorite sports channels yanked from the line-up.
I wouldnt be happy at all, but I still wouldnt have grounds to sue over it. If I were that upset, I would simply take my business elswhere (whether or not I could get the chanels I lost is another issue)

I wouldnt be happy at all, but I still wouldnt have grounds to sue over it. If I were that upset, I would simply take my business elswhere (whether or not I could get the chanels I lost is another issue)

That is the heart of this. the OP and some others think that because something bad happened to them they should be suing. When some point out that as bad as the thing is it is not actionable . then those that tried to explain are told that that don't get it.

the issue won't resolve itself on the board but it also won't result in a successful lawsuit.

Last edited:

Very well said.
Sign me up for this one. It's a lot more grounded than all the really esoteric class actions I find myself apart of each year on credit card overcharges etc and I get my $2 check settlement.

At least lawsuits are the way of business Charlie understands and can relate to.

Id just like to point out my take on the whole VOOM takedown, from the way I see it, it was simply a "good" business decision. A few months ago Dish offered the "extra" HD Package that was mostly VOOM for the $10 basically ala carte, I imagine what happened was a large majority (not necessarily represented on this board mind you) of customers (like myself) quickly dumped those channels we deemed "worthless" and saved the $10 a month. This was good business 101, they sampled how many would really care if VOOM was gone in the grand scheme and found out just that way by offering it seperate. So there you have my opinion, the majority of dishs HD customers (majority always wins) didnt care to see it go, and the few that did, well there upset obviously. As someone who runs a business there is no way I would keep something "in stock" for a couple clients when 100's dont want it, unless those clients wanted to pay me a rediculous amount of money for my trouble to do so, its just the way it is, and isnt something to sue over, like I always say, noone is stoping you from starting your own Satelite company, then you can do whatever you want with it, it always amazes me how people always feel like they have the "rights" get over it, its NOT YOURS, its theirs, dont like it start your own, or buy enough stock to have a say for yourself. Just because you "can" sue doesnt mean you should. Sorry to come off so harsh but it really does get old, we know your upset, but whining about it will not change anything. Im not happy they dont have my locals in HD, but im not on here whining about it I did something about it, got a OTA Ant. and now enjoy them for free, I could have also took my dollar to DTV who carries 3 of them. If people would just sit back and look at both sides to every situation there would be much less whining in the world, open your own business and see how the world really works, you would be amazed.
Mind you I have no "inside" info on this, but common sense dictates, I bet im not to far off.

Ok stepping down now, lol:rolleyes:

...For those folks who signed up just a month ago, and who may be holding one of those glossy promo cards in their hands right now, and who found the esthetic standards of the unparalleled VOOM channels so much more than they ever expected to encounter on their TV screens, this must be a very disconcerting turn of events, indeed! For many, it's not about the razor-clarity of the HD signal, which admittedly counts for something. It's about having a series of channels that finally, after FORTY years, contravene Newton Minnow's "vast wasteland" assessment of the entirety of television programming fare...
Enjoyed, and agreed with your post entirely. Very sad that more of these type of commercial free, quality channels don't exist, but we apparently must cater to the masses. I truly miss Gallery, Treasure, Equator, FilmFest, and World Cinema, in particular.

this has been going on for almost a week now. It is an endless series of people demanding that justice be done, other saying that a lawsuit is unlikely to be successful and then people sating oh yes it will!

Just out of curiosity has anyone actual spoken to an attorney about this? If so what did that attorney say?

So, How's this law suit working out? Lets see the claim thats being filed. We've already seen Vooms Claim ,now lets see the one for this class action suit.

That is my point i don't think that there is one. that people just want to vent on the internet. Which is fine i guess. But don't tell me that you have actually proven anything until you at least try to actually do what you are discussing.

..."Meeting of the minds..."

All, very well said, sir!

Personally, I thought Voom HD was, without question, the most amazing collection of commercial free, multi-cultural programming American audience's have ever witnessed; GalleryHD, UltraHD, TreasureHD, RaveHD, WorldCinemaHD, FilmFestHD, RushHD, and WorldSportHD are all culturally rich and dynamic, in their own ways.

i.e., UltraHD wasn't just about fashion... There were architectural series such as, 'What The Window Washer Saw' that were both educational, and fascinating. 'Reservations Required' looks at stunning culinary venues, etc, etc...​

Each Voom channel was a unique cultural Mecca for those of us who were hungry for alternative programming and willing to explore, and dig for it. It wasn't for everyone, just like Fox News HD, Weather Channel HD, or even USA HD, just to name a few. We all have personal likes and dislikes. Reality dictates... you'll never please all the people, all the time.

Voom HD was evolving... Understand, it takes years to produce quality programs... from inception to presentation.

For those of you who didn't particularly appreciate nor embrace Voom HD's programming, please try to understand and respect the passion of those who did.

Voom and Dish are duking it out, but again I feel I must reiterate, Dish, as far as subs are concerned (that's you and I), can do, will do, what ever they want, when they want; that's quite evident. I beleive, litigation, from our perspective, will be fruitless. As other's have pointed out, all we need to do is examine our contracts; we have no rights. If you don't like it, 'leave' is Dish's legal opinion. For those of you who joined and are obligated under contarct, you have every right to downgrade, or opt-out without cost, if it's in relation to the cancelation of Voom.

Dish and its army of litigators are shrewd and obviously operate in a manner, without conscience as social dominators, and authoritarians ... Their behavior, be in relation to technological copyright infringements of TiVo, or their constant battles with carriage rights, we the subs are the one's who end up paying for all this despicable behavior, either through denial of access or by way of what we pay per/month.

Last edited:
Voom HD was evolving... Understand, it takes years to produce quality programs... from inception to presentation.

Voom was not evolving at all. You are totally blinded. What would be the correct word to use to represent what Voom was actually doing? de-volving? Regressing? Whatever the opposite of evolving is, Voom gets tagged with that.

Fact= Voom, all channels of Voom, began going way downhill in November 2007.

What part of that are you missing?

Yes, Voom had some good stuff, but it was NOT getting better. They cooked their own goose and sabotaged themselves.

If they were so wonderful, growing and evolving into some utopian collection of commercial free programming, they would not have been removed.

Just face it everyone. Voom flushed itself. This lawsuit idea is dead!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts