Class Action Lawsuit against Dish for Dropping Voom?

"Punitive damages...I don't know, sue everybody...I was initially hurt with words, and then I fell down the stairs and my shoes fell off."

First you hve to prove that they actually did something thst their contract with you did not allow them to.

I mean you wont win a lawsuit but it may get some publicity that may help the decisions of both sides.

Originally Posted by jimboeau
My guess is that within a few weeks a cable company or satellite company will see this great opportunity and offer the hugely popular and requested HD Suite. Just be patient!

Patient ? VOOM Network channels have been "available" for many years and who's picked them up ? VOOM themselves, Dish, and .... Cablevision (they own VOOM, by the way).

//sarcasm = on....... I guess I need to be more clear..... VOOM is a POS

Originally Posted by jimboeau
My guess is that within a few weeks a cable company or satellite company will see this great opportunity and offer the hugely popular and requested HD Suite. Just be patient!

//sarcasm = on....... I guess I need to be more clear..... VOOM is a POS

like you?

You can sue anyone for anything. Whether you win is a whole different story. You can keep giving a lawyer money and I'm sure they'll keep working on your case as long as you keep the cash going.

I doubt you'll get a lawyer to take this on a contingency basis. So unless you've got the money to front for such a legal venture, this all just conjecture at this point.

Many people are upset about the loss of Voom why does it upset some of you that we are using a Forum to talk about how we feel with others who feel the same way.

I liked Voom a lot. I've been extremely critical of DISH's treatment of their best customers. In fact, you might say I FEEL THE SAME WAY AS YOU.

That said, the original post is a huge load of crap.

Frivolous lawsuits are one of the things killing this country. But more than that, I hate people who think they are the center of the universe.

By definition, a class-action lawsuit has to do with something that affects a large group of people. You could say that there is some merit to this complaint (though I doubt it would hold up legally) that ALL of the HD Ultimate customers are being charged for something they aren't getting. But this guys' whining about his $2,000 TV and his 2 year commitment. No one forced him to buy a TV. No one forced him to make a commitment. It's called buyer's remorse.

His 2 year commitment argument might hold water if there was an alternative way to get Voom. If his contract was holding him to DISH, therefore preventing him from getting Voom from DirecTV...well, it would still have no legal merit, but at least he'd have a legit reason to complain. As is, he's complaining about all the SD Upconvert channels. Switching to DirecTV would just give him more.

Yes, I want either my Voom back or my $5 a month back. I'm just not a selfish idiot who thinks waving the "lawsuit" word around is going to do any good. It's the tool of the weak. It's like running to mommy because the other children won't play fair. There ARE options to drop that tier and save money. And again...NO ONE FORCED HIM TO COMMIT TO TWO YEARS. I seriously looked at switching to DirecTV over this. I could do it tomorrow. I just don't see how it will be worth it.

AND, as much as I liked Voom...they screwed themselves. So it's really hard to blame DISH for much. It's really down to that $5 a month.

So that's why I'M mad. Because the Amercian legal system is bogged down with s***heads who think that they are entiitled to having everything how they like it and screw everyone else. Forget the legal system, that's what's wrong with America in general. Did I love Monsters? Yup. But for every person like me, there's 50 people who just want to watch fricking Hannah Montana. Sorry, majority rules here. And the majority has terrible taste in TV, movies, books, music, ect.

IN MY OPINION.

[/rant mode off]

"Punitive damages...I don't know, sue everybody...I was initially hurt with words, and then I fell down the stairs and my shoes fell off."

First you hve to prove that they actually did something thst their contract with you did not allow them to.

Which one? My contract with the stairs to carry me safely to the lower floor, or my contract with my shoelaces to hold my shoes on?

Which one? My contract with the stairs to carry me safely to the lower floor, or my contract with my shoelaces to hold my shoes on?

Neither. You are supposed to be mad at DISH for dropping VOOM. Nothing else matters. Why are you talking about stairs and shoelaces when we are ina VOOMless world? Will you find VOOM at the top of the stairs? Just wear loafers and stay on the first floor till VOOM comes back. if you don't like that you are free to go somewhere else-----unless you need sy=tairs or shoelaces to get there. those are forbidden.

Neither. You are supposed to be mad at DISH for dropping VOOM. Nothing else matters. Why are you talking about stairs and shoelaces when we are ina VOOMless world? Will you find VOOM at the top of the stairs? Just wear loafers and stay on the first floor till VOOM comes back. if you don't like that you are free to go somewhere else-----unless you need sy=tairs or shoelaces to get there. those are forbidden.

lol...now thats fummy

Nobody forced you to spend $2,000 on a TV, and nobody forced you to agree to a 2 year commitment. A 2 year commitment was offered in exchange for a discount, and you agreed. You didn't have to do it.

I can't speak for the original poster, but when I switched to Dish about two years ago, the CSR made it seem as though I had to sign a 2 year contract. Fortunately, I research such decisions more thoroughly than anyone should be expected to, so I knew better. :)

The guy at Payless made me sign a 2 year commitment to wear top-siders.
022406_boat_shoes.jpg

And I called Otis about installing an elevator, but my two year apartment lease has restrictions on installing conveyance devices.

I'm certainly not advocating the lawsuit idea, but musn't there be some limits to what Dish can do? I mean, if they had a contract clause that allows them to cut off my finger it they don't like the way I channel surf, and I foolishly sign it, do they really have the right to my finger? On a more practical level, If they removed all but one channel, would I still be bound by my contract?

Contracts can be nullified and it would also seem that there has to be some limit to how much Dish can cut service before they're not holding up their end of the contract... Ironically, isn't this what Dish is doing to Voom in this whole situation?

I'm certainly not advocating the lawsuit idea, but musn't there be some limits to what Dish can do? I mean, if they had a contract clause that allows them to cut off my finger it they don't like the way I channel surf, and I foolishly sign it, do they really have the right to my finger? On a more practical level, If they removed all but one channel, would I still be bound by my contract?

Contracts can be nullified and it would also seem that there has to be some limit to how much Dish can cut service before they're not holding up their end of the contract... Ironically, isn't this what Dish is doing to Voom in this whole situation?

First of all the two situations are not comparable. Second I sign contracts all the time but I would never sign one that gives the other party the right to cut off my finger. Even if I did that would make it a contract for an illegal purpose (surprisingly the law frowns on finger cutting) so it would be invalid. But dropping VOOM and replacing it with other channels is not illegal so that particular argument wil not work.

Even your argument about cutting it to one channels is not what happened. So why even make the argument? These consumer contracts are horribly one sided. But that does not mean that they are invalid. But let's not exaggerate the reduction in channels or compare it to cutting off people's fingers.

In this case there is explicit language that allows them to do this. If you think I am wrong go right ahead and join the lawsuit. But it si getting way too late to deal with this

Last edited:
The object here as I see it would be less that one could win the lawsuit than the restoration of VOOM. That would be more likely to happen if it is shown (as in the case of a lawsuit) that there are a large number of customers very unhappy with what has happened. The bad publicity for Dish is what is most likely to be the best outcome to get E* to relent. Please Geronimo use spell check so we can enjoy what you are saying.

Lawsuits are indeed for the weak! That's what law is for, not the strong and powerful. A class action lawsuit would probably not succeed but if a pro-bono attorney could be found the adverse publicity would be a potent weapon.

First of all the two situations are not comparable. Second I sign contracts all the time but I would never sign one that gives the other party the right to cut off my finger. Even if I did that would make it a contract for an illegal purpose (surprisingly the law frowns on finger cutting) so it would be invalid. But dropping VOOM and replacing it with other channels is not illegal so that particular argument wil not work.

Even your argument about cutting it to one channels is not what happened. So why even make the argument? These consumer contracts are horribly one sided. But that does not mean that they are invalid. But let's not exaggerate the reduction in channels or compare it to cutting off people's fingers.

In this case there is explicit language that allows them to do this. If you think I am wrong go right ahead and join the lawsuit. But it si getting way too late to deal with this

My premise was simply that there must be some limits to what they can do. Where's the line? Seriously.

Again, I'm not in favor of a lawsuit here. I am curious though, if you are so annoyed by this discussion as your last few sentences lead me to believe, why continue to follow the thread and participate in the conversation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts