Classic Arts Showcase (dish 9406) goes byebye from dish

Joe Capitano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
A bit of bad news for those who liked the channel that showed bits of ballet, opera, classical music and film shorts. Classic Arts Showcase (dish 9406) disappeared today from the dish Network service. The on-screen note says the channel "ceased distribution to dish." You can still view it through the channel's website - classicartsshowcase.org, and through other providers. A number of public TV stations carry the service.

I mostly checked it out for bits of ballet. Seeing a ballerina on pointe is a beautiful thing. Opera, on the other hand, I can live without. Too loud for me. Well, who here watched for a bit and for what?

Reactions: HipKat
This was a good channel! One of the very few SD channels I still watched occasionally.
I’ve discovered some great performances there, like Amelia.

Sorry to read this, bust the channel is available on the Roku.
. So many University and College stations have gone from Dish. However most are streaming and on the Roku and other units.

And Dish profits another nickel at our expense. Hopefully Ergen will retire soon or sell Dish to someone with business ethics and integrity. It can't happen too soon.

One of the few reasons I stayed with Dish. That and the Sirius Met Opera broadcasts. I have Amazon Firestick and I wonder if it is available through an app?

And Dish profits another nickel at our expense. Hopefully Ergen will retire soon or sell Dish to someone with business ethics and integrity. It can't happen too soon.
Dish, nor any other provider, has ever paid for the channel. Completely self-funded, but I would not be surprised if their limited funds are running out.

Last edited:
Reactions: satjay and navychop
Never heard of it.

I will not watch ballet. I think it's criminal to set standards that can only be reached by under feeding. My wife told me tales of the ballerinas sitting down for lunch, carefully opening a packet of two saltine crackers, and then breaking off a small piece and eating it slowly. Make it last. That was their whole meal.

Dish, nor any other provider, has ever paid for the channel. Completely self-funded, but I would not be surprised if their limited funds are running out.
I think the issue is if Charlie can't profit from running a free educational cultural channel, he is not interested in putting it on his system. He will gladly sell you a $10 World Wide Wrestling PPV however.

Reactions: TheKrell
Odd. Trying to watch in the Reader app on my 6+ crashes the app. So I went to Chrome, and it's not a video there. Must try FF.

I did occasionally watch Classic Arts Showcase channel, mostly late at night. I liked that they would show things that you would never see anywhere else, and some of the performances (and performers) were really great. I will miss that channel. I never realized that it was on Roku, but now that some of you have mentioned it, I will watch it that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts