Cleaning Remote Contacts

Mike88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
The Pause button on the 722k remote needs a very firm press in order for it to work. How do you open up the remote in order to clean the contacts? I cannot find any hidden screws. On other remotes that I have owned usually carefully prying the top from the bottom will open them.

I've tried some gentle prying but so far nothing is giving. Before I lay into it is there a proper method to open the Dish remote and/or a recommended area to pry?

I agree with boba, if you get it open you wil probably break it more. If you have the protection plan it will be free.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I got it open. After removing the battery cover you can see 2 small slots on the end where small tabs on the cover go into. I inserted & rotated a screwdriver in one of these which in turn applies pressure between the 2 case halves. Then about half inch up the side from this I forced another small screwdriver into the seam & pressed inward. It took a lot of pressure to release the first tab. Then I inserted a small plastic scraper/putty knife into the slightly opened seam & gently forced it along & un-snapped the other tabs. I used some very fine emery cloth to touch up any dings along the seam. The slot at the end where I started got chewed up & I straightened it out best possible. It's covered by the battery cover so you never see it.

Cleaned off the dirty/oily spot on the circuit board with a Q-Tip & alcohol. Put it back together & it works like new.

Nice,I have done that many times.FYI,soft drinks and coffee are a remotes worst enemy.:D

Mike88 said:
I got it open. After removing the battery cover you can see 2 small slots on the end where small tabs on the cover go into. I inserted & rotated a screwdriver in one of these which in turn applies pressure between the 2 case halves. Then about half inch up the side from this I forced another small screwdriver into the seam & pressed inward. It took a lot of pressure to release the first tab. Then I inserted a small plastic scraper/putty knife into the slightly opened seam & gently forced it along & un-snapped the other tabs. I used some very fine emery cloth to touch up any dings along the seam. The slot at the end where I started got chewed up & I straightened it out best possible. It's covered by the battery cover so you never see it.

Cleaned off the dirty/oily spot on the circuit board with a Q-Tip & alcohol. Put it back together & it works like new.

Glad you got it working, but I would still get another so you have a backup

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I asked this over at "the other place" but, when I opened my 5.3 IR remote, there is an oily or liquid substance between the board and the rubber button substrate.

Does this oil help keep the buttons working or is it problematic?

Should I clean the board and the rubber buttons?

BTY, an old credit card pressing inward along the bottom of the slot made opening the case a snap.

Last edited:
I asked this over at "the other place" but, when I opened my 5.3 IR remote, there is an oily or liquid substance between the board and the rubber button substrate.

Does this oil help keep the buttons working or is it problematic?

Should I clean the board and the rubber buttons?

BTY, an old credit card pressing inward along the bottom of the slot made opening the case a snap.

I don't think they are supposed to be oily,chances are that is residue from something that definitely shouldn't be there.I use a microfiber cloth and q-tips with 50% alcohol on the board,I take the button pad out and wash with warm water and soap.Let it dry completely and put back together.Always had good results like that.

Slightly related but those of you with buttons that stick down when pressed, cornstarch works wonders...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)