Clear view of the southern sky :-)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I just checked the southern view from an old ham radio antenna mount poll that I'm not using anymore.

I have a tall pine that I thought might be a problem but after checking the elevation to the pine from the poll things look very good. I got about 25 degrees to the top of the pine so it looks like the satellites will be well over the top of the pine. Looks like the only sat that is close to the top of an elm is G10R.

dishview1.jpg

Working things out on the image above helped me picture how it will all work.

Here is a picture of the 1 5/8 poll mount just waiting for something to do.

poll.jpg

Half of the work of installing a FTA dish is already done so I have no excuses not to give it a go. I will be ordering my FTA system in the next day or so.

Just a quick question on LNBF - I only plan to use the system on one TV, is there any advantage to me buying a dual output circular/linear LNBF over a single output linear LNBF?

Thanks, DC

The thing to remember is the dish "sees" 22-25 degrees higher than what the dish normally shows. So the dish may look like its facing the trees but the signal would come over trees :)

As for the LNB. Most people use a single or dual linear LNB for FTA. If you want the 1/2 dozen or so free circular channels (from Dish) you can always hoseclamp a DBS LNB next to it. That's what I did :)

If you are getting a Motorized system, I like haveing the Circular / Linear LNB. I have fould it easlier to setup with. The Circular Sat are very powerfull and easy to find.

You might want a dual LNBF, even if you only plan on using one receiver now. A dual output LNBF gives you more options in the future, if you plan to upgrade.

The Invacom Quad mentioned above has two outputs for both circular and linear birds, and makes an excellent choice, provided the dish you are using has reinforced feed support struts to handle the extra weight.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. You gave me lots to think about.

I have the Dish HD only package now with dual Dish 500. The HD dish is on 61.5 and the second gets both 110 and 119 so I get more channels then just the 45 HD listed in the package. Are there still more Echostar channels that I could get if I went with the dual circular LNBF on some of the other Echostar birds? What about the Canadian StarChoice birds, I thought I read the StarChoice system was designed by Echostar. I would love to be able to get a few free Canadian channels. I'm way down south in central florida but maybe?

What would happen if I hook my ViP 222 up to the FTA dish? Pull in a few StarChoice channels? I don't want to move the fixed Dish 500 but the FTA dish could sweep the sky. Such fun to think about.

Take care, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)