Cleveland, Ohio locals in HD

GeorgeF

Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
I've been patiently waiting, does anyone have a clue when we might see these locals in HD added. What determines the order Dish broadcasts these?

DirecTV broadcasts the Cleveland locals in HD.

No one has a clue.... There's another thread that talks about a deal Dish has for customers and getting them an OTA antenna and installation at a subsidized price and Cleveland is one of the cities whose customers/residents are eligible. A bit of speculation says Dish isn't going to make arrangements like this if the city will have their local digital channels available via satellite anytime soon. I'd say this buys them 12 more months....

The order is anyone's guess. Logic says they go for the largest markets first and work out deals, where possible, to carry the channels. Then they move on to add'l markets. If one market with (4) channels has a roadblock involving (3) of the stations, I'd bet Dish moves on....

I've been patiently waiting, does anyone have a clue when we might see these locals in HD added. What determines the order Dish broadcasts these?

Sent email to CEO@echostar.com last week. Here is part of reply.

The cities that were scheduled for the HD conversion in the last quarter of 2006 were Raleigh NC., Indianapolis IN., and Pittsburg PA. At this time there are no current launches, but, you should here something later in the 1st quarter of 2007. Hopefully by February or March Dish will provide Cleveland as well as Cincinnati local DMA’s in HD.

Sent email to CEO@echostar.com last week. Here is part of reply.

The cities that were scheduled for the HD conversion in the last quarter of 2006 were Raleigh NC., Indianapolis IN., and Pittsburg PA. At this time there are no current launches, but, you should here something later in the 1st quarter of 2007. Hopefully by February or March Dish will provide Cleveland as well as Cincinnati local DMA’s in HD.

Well, seeing Cincinnati mentioned is a nice start for us in Cincinnati. However, I will believe it when I see it. :) Can't wait for it..

Living in Akron/Canton area, thats the only thing I missed about TWC, with them I had my locals in HD.

Come on Dish, add HD locals in the Cleveland DMA.

My wife doesn't really want an OTA antenna on our house, I'm not so sure how well an antenna in my garage attic woud work. ?

HD is coming soon to Cincinnati....I think I have heard that before....Must be a glitch in the Matrix.

Living in Akron/Canton area, thats the only thing I missed about TWC, with them I had my locals in HD.

Come on Dish, add HD locals in the Cleveland DMA.

My wife doesn't really want an OTA antenna on our house, I'm not so sure how well an antenna in my garage attic woud work. ?

I have seen a few OTA's work in the Canton and Massillon area. The best example I can think of was a customer who had one in his attic. There were some problems with the ABC affiliate (WEWS), but everything else came in with at least a 80 on his 211

I live in Lake County, have the DISH gold package installed for the 40" JVC 40x887 TV in the family room, also basic $10/mth TimeWarner cable for the analog stations through out the house for the analog TV's (and also the JVC in the family room).The QAM tuned picks up the Cleveland locals in HD on basic cable.

Then SONY HD TV in the bedroom may get get DISH soon! (I may need diplexers for that set up, or run an additional cable?)

I switched to E* in mid-summer (around the same time DirecTV added Cleveland LiLs) and I heard we were in the plans for 2006 but probably not until late 2006. Well that came and passed. I have OTA and am happy with my signal. I do hope that we get them soon since I am now limited to just one HD local recorder (what is a man supposed to do with 24 on at the same time as Heroes!). I'd be very surprised if anything transpires in February or March since many locals are uplinked for months before going live and Cleveland hasn't even been rumored to make the uplink!

Go Cavs!

I switched to E* in mid-summer (around the same time DirecTV added Cleveland LiLs) and I heard we were in the plans for 2006 but probably not until late 2006. Well that came and passed.
Thank goodness your post didn't turn into a "Dish LIED to me !! They PROMISED that Cleveland's locals would be available by the end of 2006 !! I want out of my contract now....".

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll repeat it in the future. NEVER make a decision, especially one you'll be tied in a contact with, based on "plans" that a company has. If a company doesn't have product "A" right now, either wait until they add it or go with them for other reasons. When and if they add "A" later, great.

I live in Lake County, have the DISH gold package installed for the 40" JVC 40x887 TV in the family room, also basic $10/mth TimeWarner cable for the analog stations through out the house for the analog TV's (and also the JVC in the family room).The QAM tuned picks up the Cleveland locals in HD on basic cable.

Then SONY HD TV in the bedroom may get get DISH soon! (I may need diplexers for that set up, or run an additional cable?)

Ya know, that's probably one of the best ideas I've heard of to receive the Cleveland HD locals. Depending on how good your picture is, I would probably be tempted to not even have Dish carry your locals, just use TWC for that. :hatsoff:

I live in Medina and get all my locals OTA in great. I have an antenna mounted in my attic and it picks everything up great. 90+ signal on everything. The only problem is wanting to record something while watching another OTA. I just have to go to another TV to do it. My problem is since I Don't subscribe to the locals I don't get them in my guide. That sucks.

Thank goodness your post didn't turn into a "Dish LIED to me !! They PROMISED that Cleveland's locals would be available by the end of 2006 !! I want out of my contract now....".

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll repeat it in the future. NEVER make a decision, especially one you'll be tied in a contact with, based on "plans" that a company has. If a company doesn't have product "A" right now, either wait until they add it or go with them for other reasons. When and if they add "A" later, great.

Good advise, i wish I took it 8 months ago, but its only time and I promise E* I will be moving to D* if Cleveland HD isn't up within 12 months(read, "end of current commitment on 622")

I'm not defending E* about their HD local coverage, but I'm very happy receiving them with an antenna. As you know, they integrate into the program guide transparently and the best part is that the quality is far better than what Dish can provide. When and if E* provides my locals, I'll still primarily watch the OTA channels as well as record them and use the sat-provided ones when I want to record (2) HD shows at the same time.

I'm not defending E* about their HD local coverage, but I'm very happy receiving them with an antenna. As you know, they integrate into the program guide transparently and the best part is that the quality is far better than what Dish can provide. When and if E* provides my locals, I'll still primarily watch the OTA channels as well as record them and use the sat-provided ones when I want to record (2) HD shows at the same time.

I am happy for you yhat you are in an area where thats possible, however even with a 173" antenna on a 15' mast and a rotor I still get drop outs to the point i still have to record sd as a backup because local HD is unwatchable at times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)