Clock

Every recording even primetime anytime is off about about 2 minutes. No matter what channel I record the end is cut off and it starts about 1 minute soon.

Most recordings will default to starting early by 1 minute. You can edit the timer settings to tell it to start on time or to end late. Have you tried setting the recordings to end late by a few minutes? It sounds like the show may be running longer than it's scheduled time.

Go to the US Naval Observatory website for their atomic clock and compare it to the time on your receiver. I just did it and between refreshing the browser on my phone to update, they are certainly within 15 seconds of each other.

You can't change it, by the way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My receivers are set to record 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late (default). If recording two or more shows in a row on one channel, the recording always stops a minute, or so, before the show ends. You may be able to catch the end of that show when starting the next show recorded (on that channel) with out missing much. Would be nice if they could find a solution for this, like switching to a tuner that's not being used at the time.

You don't have to set each one individually, you can set an overall start and stop time.

Menu, Settings, DVR Default.....
I'm guessing that doesn't impact existing timers, only new ones created after changing this. Imagine if someone customized the start and end times for a few random timers. If that over-rode those, people would be rightfully upset.

The biggest problem that causes recordings to get cut off is the fact that the networks run overtime.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

And the though on running past the top or bottom of the hour is to beat the other network. If you are already tuned to network a, and its show ends after network b starts its next show, you are more likely to stay with network a for a full show. So they think.

Thanks Bobby for web site. My Hoppers are right on the money.

Yeah, the Dish STB clocks are on the money, but the stream ends up being delayed by about 10-15 seconds, hence why the DVR ends recording a but too early for many TV shows if the end time is not extended by at least a minute. Oh, and this means the program starts about 10-15 seconds late, that delayed stream, again. Essentially, the on the money clock and the late stream are not in synch. This is most frustrating on History, Science, H2, Discover, or any other channel that airs the show right up to the last second, meaning that the narrator is cut off or we miss those last few vital seconds (has happened to me on Deadliest Catch). And if there is a timer set for the very next show on the very same channel, it will STILL end too early even if the end time is extended by 1 minute because that is just how Dish DVR's are designed.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Dish STB clocks are on the money, but the stream ends up being delayed by about 10-15 seconds, hence why the DVR ends recording a but too early for many TV shows if the end time is not extended by at least a minute. Oh, and this means the program starts about 10-15 seconds late, that delayed stream, again. Essentially, the on the money clock and the late stream are not in synch. This is most frustrating on History, Science, H2, Discover, or any other channel that airs the show right up to the last second, meaning that the narrator is cut off or we miss those last few vital seconds (has happened to me on Deadliest Catch). And if there is a timer set for the very next show on the very same channel, it will STILL end too early even if the end time is extended by 1 minute because that is just how Dish DVR's are designed.

I wish there was some way they could fix it. It is very disruptive to me for The Military Channel.

There is a lag of a few seconds with Dish. It takes time to process the signal , time to send it from the source to dish then up to the sat back down and then precessed by the receiver. Compared to ota where most stations insert commercials at the top and the bottom of the hour, many sat channels just run from 1 show directly into another. My thoughts are that the time lag can cause a show to sem to be cut off when thee same tuner records 2 shows in a row.

I should've said the recordings START about 10-15 seconds too early, but, of course, END 10-15 seconds too early.

right dwarren2, but what has caused it to be worse since the days when Dish added several HD channels per transponder (and more SD channels, as well, because even the SD streams are really long, as well) is the sheer size of the stream. The time it takes to encode all that data and merge it onto a stream before it can be sent to uplink and the time it takes for stream to cycle so that the STB has all the data necessary before it can spit out the video, audio, for the requested sat channel (USA, TNT, etc.), the encryption key, program data, etc. It's a really long stream these days, and that is the major cause of the delay. The up and down route of RF sat transmissions (such as old analog TV/radio) is only a few seconds like 2 - 3 seconds of delay. But, if it is a digital stream, who knows how long the delay will be. It's the tyranny of THE STREAM. For Dish, the question becomes this: should we keep the clock on the money and just not be concerned about the stream not being in synch, or do we synch the clock (being set LATER than real time) with the stream so that SATELLITE streams reach the downlink so that recordings don't end or start early. But that would make the OTA timers fire LATE and end late because the OTA RF has a much shorter distance to travel and often has a much SMALLER stream than Dish sat streams, and people may find that upsetting. Consider, however, that Dish MUST be sending the data that keeps the clock accurate EARLIER than real time because it really is on the money at our donwlink end, and the only way that cam be is if Dish sends the synch just a few seconds BEFORE real time so that it is perfect at our end.

Last edited:
Maybe Dish should just tweak their systems to automatically start 15 seconds later and end 15 seconds later?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)