clone PVR 721 when new? Anticipate crash?

stuart gold

Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
I'm just agetting my 1st PRV, a Dish PVR 721. It is NOT currently under warrenty but works fine. AFter reading some of the threads, I am now a bit parinoid and have some quesitons. Please advise

1. After reading a LOT of the post here about problems with the hard disc, is it a good idea before trying to get it activated, to take out the hard disc and try the Norton Ghost backup of the 250 MB linix partition just in case or is that parinoia?

2. If I do have problems in the future with the disc, what are the chances that I can get a working copy of that Linix 250 MB partition if the disc is damaged if I don't do it now?

3. How hard is it to get a copy of the Linix partition from someone in this group if I run into problems?

4. Not being a Linix guy and never having used Norton Ghost 2003 ( I do have the program though) how hard is it to back up this partition on a Win XP machine either to disc or CD and return it to a new 120 GB disc?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. I'm just trying to anticipate problems in advance and be prepared for them.

If anything happens to your 721 all you need to do is call and sign up for DHPP then call back later for tech support and your 721 will be covered under the plan.

Is it really that easy? I have no problems at this point, but had considered signing up for the DHPP in case something happens. But if it is that easy, why does anyone pay for it until they have a problem.

What if I bought a used one over a year old?

The unit that I am getting is over a year old. i imagine that once that I activate it, it won;t still be under warrenty will it? Orr is it a matter of signing up for the $5/mo PVR fee and then they cover it? Please advise

If you sign up for the DHPP ( Digital Home Protection Plan $5.99/mo) it covers ALL the equipment you have active on the account no matter how old it may be. There is NO PVR fee on the 721.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts