Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well I fired up the Coolsat I got for 35 bucks shipped and amazingly it has version 1.00 in it (guess the guy was smart and got rid of hackware in it ;))

but now we have an issue...a seriously bad list of satellites in it. And I dont have a way to download it from ChannelMaster to it as my comp doesnt have a rs232 port

so...since I have a 5000 already set up and channel list/sat list ready to go I figured I'd clone them

Anybody done that ever? If so, how to do it?

I found this info from an eye-patch site. Their method of doing it isn't particularly eyepatch style, but it sounds like it would work. Again, this is from another site, here goes: (pasting now)

First, you'll need a null modem cable.

Then bring the box needing the software to a box that is connected to a TV. The box needing the software needs no connection to a TV or sat for the transfer process.

Connect the 2 boxes together with a null modem cable. Turn ON box that has the software to be copied, in the Menu, go to System Information (CS4000Pro), or System Setting > Data Transfer for the CS5000.

Press either Firmware or Channel Data, and power ON the box receiving the data.

After the transfer is done, do check the Dish Settings menus when to "cloned" box is connected back to its TV for the proper sat settings. (END OF INFO FROM EYEPATCH SITE)

I just did a quick google search on exactly what you needed and this is what I got.

tried that and it didnt work :(

the good one i hit "copy" and it said "copy" on the box. The "new" one shows 001,002,003 etc and went to 100 then restarted back at 001. When it got done it rebooted and nothing.

I'm wondering if because they both have version 1.00 in them it wont copy? But my original box has a CM downloaded sat list....

guess I'll have to take the boxes to a relatives who has a rs232 port on it

with version 101
on the good box go to menu , system settings , data transfer, channel data and hit ok
it will go to a copy screen and say connect your stb & turn it on
then it should start

if you do the filmware it will make a copy of your filmware and tell you to connect the box to copy it to and turn it on.

sounds familiar

Didn't we discuss this recently? - :confused:
Didn't we come up with all sorts of good 'n cheap ideas? - :up
And, didn't you decide to keep your old computer around 'cause it has a serial port? - :eureka
Naw, maybe it was on some other forum . . . :rolleyes:

I've seen USB to RS232 adapter cables that come with a software driver CD. Maybe that option would work?

Didn't we discuss this recently? - :confused:
yes we did. But I wanted to bypass the computer if I could
Didn't we come up with all sorts of good 'n cheap ideas? - :up
but a couple folks said vista didnt work properly with it
And, didn't you decide to keep your old computer around 'cause it has a serial port? - :eureka

the old computer died completely. powered it up 4 times, would get to the main screen then freeze. So it got gutted.

USB to serial dongles are quite common in my line of work. Most if not all networking gear (backbone, not your typical $30.00 Linksys/Netgear stuff) can be locally configured only via a serial cable and telnet software - like Hyperterminal.

Tony, I don't know what you mean by clone, but I've transfered with Receiver to Receiver in my Coolsat 5000's. I went into System Setting, Data Transfer, then you can choose from Firmware/Channel Data/Games. I think it transfers from the receiver you're doing this with to the other receiver.

You might want to check the local thrift stores for a Pentium III, they're popping up for $20-$30 at these places here. Pentium IIIs are new enough to run the satellite-related software you'll want, but old enough to have a serial port :)

Iceberg,

I have to say, if you don't mind spending a bit more cash, the Belkin USB to serial converter works like greased lightening. It has been working great with the CS 5000 version 1.

Combined with the Coolsat loader and Channel Master, it's a great combo.

The USB to serial converter hardware allows me to use other ancient serial ported hardware with my new USB laptop.
Hope that helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond 8000p Receiver

Friday FTA Poll 9/12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)