Closed Caption Loss

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
My CC dropped out again today. The 722 has been good for a long time, now at L511.

The problem was more frequent back with my 921. I never have seen a way to consistently revive the CC without rebooting. Rebooting is very inconvenient when you have recordings especially back-to-back recordings that I often do--it can be hours before I can sneak in 5-10 minutes to do a reboot.

In the old days, sometimes turning off CC and viewing and turning it back on would work, not so today. Sometimes a burst of FF or Rewind or skips would shake it loose, not today. Nor changing channels/recordings.

Suggestions welcome as my hearing is not what was and CC does help more than headphones.
-Ken

I have noticed the same problem on my 622. Fortunately, I don't rely upon CC, but occasionally use it to reinforce dialog on techie programming. Have you made a formal complaint to Dish? (I know - very painful)

I have had the same problem on my 622 with 449 software.

Until I realized what was going on I was just bummed at how few shows had CCs.

Reboot is the only thing that works for me but I haven't spend much time messing with it.

During a show I know had CCs I couldn't get them and couldn't understand some important dialog (spoken by brits talking very fast with sound effects blasting at the same time (Can you say Doctor Who?)) so I keep trying things until a reboot solved the problem.

The constant problems with CCs was a blessing in disguise for me. I wear hearing aids and even with them certain dialogue simply escapes me. I have to rely on captions for most fast talking sitcoms and especially multi-panel news shows where everyone is talking at the same time. In those situations captions can't keep up very well anyway but at least it is better than nothing.

I say the stations/Dish CC problems was a blessing in disguise because I found a neat contraption made by Clear Sounds - the CLA7 Amplified Powered Neckloop. I have a long cord running under the carpet from the tv2 audio output of the 622 and (using some plug adapters) I have that connected to the neckloop. I put it around my neck, turn it on and place the hearing aids to telecoil mode. Presto! - I'm hearing the 622 audio output directly into my ear through my aids. Much, much better clarity than using headphones and I rely on CCs a lot less now. Another advantage with the neckloop is I can attach another plug and use it for the phone, even cell phones. This is all for naught of course if you do not wear hearing aids.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)