Closed Captioning on Mute

uptownvideo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Is it possible to view the closed captioning when muting my tv? I have the 722K and this feature doesn't seem to work. When I had the 522 I just muted my tv and the tv decoded the cc. The captioning seems to work differectly with the 722K. Is there a way to do this?

I'm having trouble with this too. Your 522 and my 625 were SD receivers, and their sole outputs were analog. There was a standard for the CC signal, which was to encode it as part of the picture (line 21) in the vertical blanking interval. The VBI is not visible on a properly-adjusted TV. So, when we muted our TVs, then the TV automatically turned on CC. Very convenient.

Now enter digital TV. There is no part of a digital video stream that is not part of the picture, so the CC information has to be carried elsewhere, such as a different (data) stream. Are you connected via HDMI? Component? I'm using HDMI, but possibly the answer changes if you're on component. It seems I can manually turn on CC on my Vizio, so this extra data stream must still be present over HDMI. But there appears to be no setting where it will come on automatically when I hit the mute button on the TV.

All illumination welcome.

Last edited:
I have a Philips tv which in the menus has a setting to have the captions on when tv is on mute. The tv does not seem to decode the captions at all through the receiver. The only way I can get the captions is if I go into the receiver menus and turn it on. It is hooked up hdmi and component. I ususally use the component input. The tv does decode captions using my ota antenna and the tuner built into the tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)