Closed Captioning......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

old-guy

The Last of My Kind
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Bolingbrook, IL
Is there a way to move the position of the CC Text? I need this and have found the Ad inserts and other info increased to such a degree as to prevent my ability to read the text. T.I.A. PS: I have a VIP 722 NOT (K).

Last edited:
Is there a way to move the position of the CC Text? I need this and have found the Ad inserts and other info increased to such a degree as to prevent my ability to read the text. T.I.A. PS: I have a VIP 722 NOT (K).

I don't see any adjustment on that,What you can do is maybe change the CC color or size to help you read it better.Good Luck!.:)

AFAIK, where the CC appears on your screen is pretty much determined by the transcriber/software at the source of the captioning. I agree with you. I have found far too many LAZY people leaving the caption right where they appear obscure titles of speakers and other text that was already a part of the finished production. Now, the bugs added by the TV channels by on-air TD's are a different story. However, I think some TV's give you a very narrow option of having the CC appear further from the raster by like a half-inch or so, but the rest is all OUT OF OUR CONTROL and determined by the individual transcribing. Live transcription is the WORST and sometimes useless as the transcriber is either too slow or can't hear well (often listening via POTS hundreds or thousands of miles away from the broadcast, and they don't know the names of the local communities a local newscast is refereeing to, so lots of WRONG names and spellings and outright just plain skipping a whole sentence or more because they just don't understand or are too slow.

For example, as a rule of standardization (while some institutions' conventions may be used by many as the standard reference, there is no real single standardization of CC) the CC should appear near the bottom. Then when a super title appears to identify a speaker, for example, the CC should be momentarily moved to the TOP so that people can read the speaker ID and not obscure the speaker's face. Then when the speaker title is no longer on screen, the CC should re-appear or continue at the bottom. This requires a few extra keystrokes, but we are talking about a "pre-produced" with CC material, not a live broadcast. If the CC appears and obscures something important like text identifying a speaker, that is the OPERATOR's HEADSPACE and LAZINESS, and, unfortunately, you can't change a bloody thing about it.

However, there is great control, in most devices, to set your font, size, color foreground, color background and even capitals. Dish boxes, thankfully, offers a wide range of options for appearance. As suggested, try the transparent or translucent (I use that and set it for others, and they prefer it) to help with text not being obscured. Also, anytime you press SELECT or otherwise cause the channel banner at the top to appear, it temporarily prevents CC from appearing until the channel banner disappears by pressing CANCEL or waiting a few seconds for it to disappear on its own.

I can't tell you how often I have to skip back, press SELECT to see the speaker title, press CANCEL to rid the channel banner faster, then often skip back to catch the entire CC string. Different houses provide the CC and different PEOPLE are the biggest factor on how well the CC's are done. I could always tell on the Match Game on GSN that there were two people who split the duty of transcribing to CC: One person CC's every remark, every half sentence interrupted, every small chatter off camera (often identifying who was speaking) with NOTHING left not transcribed, and that same person knew the voice of the actor or celebrity that Dawson or others were imitating (such as CC'ing "In the voice of Paul Lynd") The other person would often skip entire sentences, even several sentences, would never CC the chatter of the panel, even when it was loud and clear and they did display some ignorance of what the panel or contestants were speaking of. In short, a really crappy job.

Sorry, my point is that CC's are still far too dependent on a really good transcriber to be effective. Now, scripted TV shows and movies are usually done properly because they have the script in front of them. Oh, and they should properly synch the CC with the action on screen.

Good luck.

I read the OP as the poster cannot read th CC text because of all the crap the channel is putting on the screen.

Sent from my DROIDX

I read the OP as the poster cannot read th CC text because of all the crap the channel is putting on the screen.

Sent from my DROIDX

The CC should always be the top layer of what ever is on screen. In other words, the CC won't ever be obscured, but the CC can obscure.

I choose yellow text on a transparent background and solid foreground opacity in menu+8+6. This is fine until they get a very busy background. If that is consistent, then choose a translucent background and if still too busy you might need solid black to cover the bg.

I choose proportional w/o serifs standard size (small is often ragged) to keep it small but readable, edge style uniform, background=provider, foreground=yellow, edge=black to fill out the other options.

It would be nice if they had followed what some have said they have on other systems, which have mute turn on the captions making it easier to go back and forth especially with external speakers and others talking in the room.

-Ken

I misread it as he couldn't read on-screen text because CC was blocking it.

The CC should always be the top layer of what ever is on screen. In other words, the CC won't ever be obscured, but the CC can obscure.
Exactly. That is why I thought he meant the CC was blocking onscreen text.

I choose yellow text on a transparent background and solid foreground opacity in menu+8+6. This is fine until they get a very busy background. If that is consistent, then choose a translucent background and if still too busy you might need solid black to cover the bg.

I choose proportional w/o serifs standard size (small is often ragged) to keep it small but readable, edge style uniform, background=provider, foreground=yellow, edge=black to fill out the other options.
Unfortunately, the new Hopper DVR doesn't have as many options for CC configuration. It kinda sucks.

Thanks to all. Yes it's the ability to read the CC. Had hoped to be able to reposition rather than use an opaque background. Oh well another slight to the handicapped, cruel world. LOL.... Bet if I were totally blind they'd play the background music louder than the dialog, wait they do that also.....

Thanks to all. Yes it's the ability to read the CC. Had hoped to be able to reposition rather than use an opaque background. Oh well another slight to the handicapped, cruel world. LOL.... Bet if I were totally blind they'd play the background music louder than the dialog, wait they do that also.....

I do feel your pain. I would be happy if the quality of the captioners themselves were at a higher standard. However, I do understand that some companies hired for CC do so on the cheap with hiring captioners as contractors who are expected to have the software and PC to do the work and handle what could be a demanding load of work, while some provide all the equipment and facilities but want people who live within a certain radius of the facility, thus reducing the access to a pool of GOOD quality captioners, and they expect them to have their lives in suspended animation so they get to the facility in a moments notice, and that has to further reduce the pool of good captioners.

Now, if we could get all the Over The Top providers (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) to provide quality CC's on their streams, cord cutting could be a REAL option for the hearing impaired.

I hope that as the population get older, the implementation of captions will get better. Having lived with hearing impairment for 50+ years, I'm thankful when its there.

But it could be better.

Other things I routinely complain about -

Why isn't cc: available on programing on On-Demand? Lots of tv shows and movies On-Demand aren't closed captioned. Surprised when cc: did show up on a recent movie from On-Demand.

Why can't it be standard to have a CC: button on the remote so I can toggle the captions on/off quickly without going through layers of menus? I have to "stand on my head" daily just to catch the DOW numbers on NBC Nightly News because they display it on the bottom of the screen (on the base of the news desk) just before going to commericals. CC: are blocking the view then. And I like So You Think You Can Dance and watch Dancing With The Stars. Would love one button to toggle cc: on/off so I can watch dance with out cc: of the lyrics scrolling over.

Yes, the ONE CC button to toggle is a MAJOR issue. Many TV remotes have the one CC button on the remote. There really is no reason Dish could not have done so, as well, over the many generations of remotes. If some can put a NETFLIX button on the remote, they surely can put a CC toggle button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts