Closed captions on HDTV programs on Voom

Lem52

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Cookeville, TN
I used to be with Voom (March-May 04). No closed captions were on any HD channels then. Can someone inform me if there is now. Just on HD channels please. I did see them on the standard channels. I am so sick of my Samsung crap, that I think I am interested in returning to Voom.

Lem52

What about ESPN HD and TNT HD. I sort of figured that there wouldn't be captions on the 21 exclusive channels, but there should be on the Premium HD
like HBO, etc. and the 2 that I mentioned. You can inform me when you see them if you want or if you have seen them, It sounds like you may have, which I hope is true.

Do you know right off how much it would cost me to get back in since I used to be a customer? I guess they would charge me top dollar to come back.

Lem52

I have to check those channels. They may or may not. I do not know. To get back to VOOM I believe you can use the current promotion without penalty (I think). Just call up and find out. I'll get back to you about the closed caption on those channels.

CC is only on OTA HD channels. No other HD channels had CC, last time I checked. By the way, does any other satellite provider offers CC on HD channels? Does anyone know?

Lem52 said:
Do you know right off how much it would cost me to get back in since I used to be a customer? I guess they would charge me top dollar to come back.
I don't think so. I think you might qualify for the latest $1 offer.

Ilya said:
CC is only on OTA HD channels. No other HD channels had CC, last time I checked. By the way, does any other satellite provider offers CC on HD channels? Does anyone know?

If thats the case with Voom now, I will stay with Direct. On Directv, there are captions on HBO HD, ESPN HD, I had Showtime HD once and it had captions, then I dropped it and later got it again, and there wasn't any. The others like Universal, HDnet, HDnet movies and Discovery HD are NOT hearing impaired friendly at all.

Lem52

I believe this is still the case, even with HBO, but I will double-check.

Wow, I am surprised it is even legal to broadcast without CC. I work at a college and I know the rules are STRICT about ADA requirements. If a educational video doesn't have CC, they have to pay somebody to add CC, at a rate of $8 a minute! Not bad, I wouldn't mind making that kind of money.

--Dan

closed captioning LOL wow i wish i could watch or even hear VOOM , id really be in heaven if i could invite my deaf neighbor over to see it but alas my VOOM IS OUT AGAIN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)