Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A number of members have been reporting speed issues over the past few weeks from our cloud servers.

Cloud servers are geographically located servers spread across the country which are supposed to speed up your browsing by serving you our graphics files and javascripts from the cloud server which is closest to your location.

For most members the clouds have worked great, but for a few people in the same general location the loading of the site has been slow due to problems with their regional cloud server.

Up until today we have used the cloud services of a company called MaxCDN, however as of 7:30PM ET tonight we have switched over to Amazon's S3/CloudFront servers.

Amazon has more cloud servers then MaxCDN and from what I have read is MUCH more reliable then the MaxCDN servers.

Unfortunately the Amazon Cloud services are more expensive then the MaxCDN service so we are running the Amazon servers as a test.

We want you to have the fastest experience possible when visiting SatelliteGuys and hope this move helps speed things up.

For registered members you should see a nice increase and for our supporting Pub Members they should see a very nice boost since they are not bogged down by all the ads.

Please report if you notice any difference, especially if you were having speed issues before.

Thanks for letting us continue to improve for you! :)

As one who is on a lot and maybe a little to quick to comment , the recent changes has improved the speed, although almost never ever has it been really bad unless a major issue is at hand. Scott listens and continues to be the best site owner I know!:) How many sites can you visit and converse with, "The Man".:D

I can say I noticed today it was going faster before getting here. It is much improved where I am.

I don't see any improvement in the cloud servers. The forum keeps hanging up on various ads and won't fully load. I have to keep refreshing the page which doesn't always help. It's very frustrating.

Scott,

No noticeable improvement here in Michigan. Often when I click on a link to change pages it just sits there. Just as I think I didn't click correctly the page loads in. Also scrolling down a page is jumpy and sticks at times.
Can I make some trace rt or other test for you?

Jim

The sticking I believe is coming from the Caching software...

I have been monitoring it and we are getting a lot of misses and clogs from the cache. (You can see this at XCache 1.3.1 Administration)

I have been trying to figure out why its doing it and how to fix it...

Any xcache experts out there?

For people with certain ISPs or in certain locations, it could be that their ISP is indicating they're in a geographic location that they're not. If that's the case, they could be pulling data from a far-away cloud server. Really nothing this site or the user can do ... and calling their ISP about this would be a fun one !

For people with certain ISPs or in certain locations, it could be that their ISP is indicating they're in a geographic location that they're not. If that's the case, they could be pulling data from a far-away cloud server. Really nothing this site or the user can do ... and calling their ISP about this would be a fun one !
Actually this is TRUE and I see it happen on my own home account which reports my IP address being from Providence Rhode Island, when I am in Hartford, Connecticut.

On my Sprint Phone many times the ip comes back to Chicago, Ill. Again no where near Hartford. :)

Yeah, on a cell phone, it can be real bad. I remember when I had Time Warner (RoadRunner), it could report me as being in Dayton OH, Columbus OH, or even some city in Virginia, Herndon, as I recall (they had a large datacenter there).

Status
Not open for further replies.