Cloud service and cloud authentication

AlabamaMustang

Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Hello guys! Looking to upgrade from my 722 to hopper. I have been scanning lots of threads and ran into something that I wanted more info about. The comment is listed below. Sorry I can't find the thread it came from. Could someone explain what the cloud service is used for with hopper and how insecure it really is? Are the username and password the same for all?

2) I find the need to use a cloud service and cloud authentication to access local services unacceptable. I should be able to set my own usernames and passwords that only I know on my hopper and open and close ports on my firewall as I see fit to lock down my home network. Having to run UPNP and other things that swiss cheese my network security is ridiculous.

As for #2, I understand Dish and Sling probably want as close to zero config as possible for less support calls. And I also understand there is business motive of wanting to know every little thing you do. Funneling it through a cloud service allows them that level of control. But it absolutely should not be required. You should have the ability to opt out of cloud management and zero config if you care about your security, because the current setup requires a home network to be configured hideously insecure. And sorry Dish and Sling. I don't trust you to have the keys to my home network.

Security is pretty much a pipe dream in any consumer targeted product. You don't need upnp or any open ports. Hopper will fall back to udp hole punching if needed. It isn't any more insecure than GoToMyPC or similar products.

Don't expect any changes from Dish. They haven't given any indication of changing and the 0.5% of folks that care are for the most part capable of implementing the means to secure it. Don't get me wrong, I wish it were better, but don't waste time worrying about it.

Bottom line, if security is the goal, get a decent router so you can segregate the Dish traffic.

Last edited:
Yes, UPNP is a gaping security hole, but tons of consumer products depend upon it. Most people don't have the savvy to mess with their router for maximum security and WANT what the consumer software and products have to offer and for it to pretty much install and configure itself. So, unless one is ready to "drop-out" of society, one has much more to worry about the use of credit cards, mobile devices etc. that track your real life movements, and checking accounts, loans and the like who re-sell your personal information to phone solicitors who have your personal information right in front of them provided to them by one of those real, brick and motor institutions or practices cited above--NOT from Web activity--as the far GREATER threat to one's identity and financial loss than even the chilling, but still less problematic, UNPN hole. Most security breaches on the Web occur when people click that "YES" button and unknowingly download malware. crooks who replace credit card swipe machines at gas stations are a far greater threat than a fair number of security holes when using the internet. We just need to know about those holes and take steps to mitigate or take the calculated risk when using the Web. It sounds chilling, but you are far more likely to encounter your credit card number being copied when you hand it to the waiter or the "reputable" business is capturing your credit card info or figures out your ATM PIN.

...Bottom line, if security is the goal, get a decent router so you can segregate the Dish traffic.

I agree 100%. If you are truly concerned then you need to segregate your "devices", on their own network, either on a separate port in your firewall or a VLAN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts