Probably a big fat NO, but...

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Is there any chance on a Hopper (or Joey) networked via HIC, that their ethernet port would act like a router port for connection to another device. Any other reasonable facsimile?

Big fat YES! Works great that way, too. I have been doing it for a while now. The MoCA network runs at about 300Mbps (half-duplex) and the Hopper/HIC have 100Mbps (full duplex) Ethernet ports. I get about 8MB/Sec (64Mbps) between my NAS and Gigabit machines using a bridged Hopper w/Sling and the HIC.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So, If I read you right, I could go out of a Joey to a Roku2 XS (with ethernet port)? I used to know this stuff, but it all went away when I reached a certain age.:(

You mentioned bridged.. do I need to mess with it for the above scenario?

Oh hell... I think I read your question wrong. No, unfortunately the Joeys won't share their MoCA connection thru the Ethernet port. However you could add a HIC in reverse...

Oh hell... I think I read your question wrong. No, unfortunately the Joeys won't share their MoCA connection thru the Ethernet port. However you could add a HIC in reverse...

Keep talking.....

You have a HIC already? You need Ethernet connectivity for another device thru the MoCA network? Another HIC in reverse would be perfect. How you hook it up depends on what kind of receiver is in the same room. Do you plan on hooking up an Ethernet device at a Joey location? If so, what you do is take your Joey line, hook it to the HVN port on the HIC, hook your Joey to the pass-thru on the HIC, then your Ethernet device to the HIC's Ethernet connector. If you need the connection at a Hopper location, you will need a tap. Hook the node port to the Hopper line, Hopper to Host port, HIC to Client port, make sure 75-ohm terminator is on pass-thru port (HIC comes with the terminator.)

You have a HIC already?
Yes.
You need Ethernet connectivity for another device thru the MoCA network?
Yes
Another HIC in reverse would be perfect. How you hook it up depends on what kind of receiver is in the same room. Do you plan on hooking up an Ethernet device at a Joey location?
Yes
If so, what you do is take your Joey line, hook it to the HVN port on the HIC, hook your Joey to the pass-thru on the HIC, then your Ethernet device to the HIC's Ethernet connector.
OK, think I get it. Now just need to get an HIC. Will check out the dish store. Reason for all of this, Roku will be where my wi-fi is at it's weakest, and not reliable in the long run. Thanks!!

Yes.
Yes
Yes
OK, think I get it. Now just need to get an HIC. Will check out the dish store. Reason for all of this, Roku will be where my wi-fi is at it's weakest, and not reliable in the long run. Thanks!!

I have been doing it for months and it's always been consistently fast and reliable. Amazon currently has it for $29.99 and free shipping.

I kinda asked the question about a year ago, not sure if the answer has changed, but will DirectV moca adapter work w/ dish as a hic?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Naw, just Dish equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)