CM 1.2m beats Fortec 1.8m on C band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I discovered last night that the DMS International BSC621 does NOT use DiSEqC as per the instructions.
Maybe check the manual that you're looking at. I was taking the link from Sadoun's website for the BSC621, and it actually went to the 621-2 model (which uses diseqc instead of 22k, since it is a universal ku lnb). That single detail makes a BIG difference indeed ;)
If I bypass the 22KHz switch could I use a DiSEqC switch instead?
Yep, that's what I did and it worked fine.

Maybe check the manual that you're looking at. I was taking the link from Sadoun's website for the BSC621, and it actually went to the 621-2 model (which uses diseqc instead of 22k, since it is a universal ku lnb). That single detail makes a BIG difference indeed ;)
Yep, that's what I did and it worked fine.

This is where I got the manual which explains the problem. :)

I will try bypassing the switch and using DiSEqC instead.

I read on another forum that the focal distance on the Fortec 1.8m dish is actually incorrect and should be moved out more to take full advantage of the entire dish. I have not had the time to confirm this.

If this is true then the dish is being under illuminated. This will reduce gain but can help to reduce thermal noise.

The following is from Chaparral and should help you:

The f/D ratio and scalar rings - why it is important to set properly

Proper setting of f/D on the feedhorn allows the feedhorn to take advantage of all of the signal being reflected off of the dish, without receiving interfering ground noise or terrestrial interference.
The f/D ratio is the focal distance of the dish (f), divided by the diameter (D). When dealing with most prime focus antennas, the number should come out between .28 and .42. If you notice, most of those numbers are also on scale on the side of the feedhorn. You simply set the top edge of the scalar ring even with the line that corresponds to your correct f/D setting.
What this adjustment actually does is determines how wide of an angle the feedhorn can "see". If the dish is very deep(example: 10ft diameter dish that is 24 in. deep), having an f/D of .28 for example, then the focal distance is relatively short. When that is the case, the focal distance is often only a few inches greater than the depth of the dish. Therefore, the feed needs to be able to "see" nearly straight to the side of the opening in the throat.
Conversely, if the dish is very shallow (example: 10ft diameter dish that is 11 in. deep), the f/D ratio would be closer to .42 and the focal distance would be much longer. In that case, the feed would need to have an narrower field of view so it would "see" the whole dish, yet not see past the edge of the dish.
Formulas for calculating focal distance and f/D ratios

To calculate the focal distance, you have to measure the diameter (D) and the depth (d) of the dish. Measurements should be in like units (you can't use feet for the diameter and inches for depth). For the example, we will say we have a dish that is 120 inches in diameter (D) and 18 inches deep (d).
focal distance (f) equals the diameter squared (D x D) divided by 16 times the depth (16 x d) or :
D x D = 120 x 120 = 14400
16 x d = 16 x 18 = 288
D x D/16 x d = 14400/288 = 50
focal distance f = 50 inches
After you have calculated the focal distance (f), you can use that figure to calculate the f/D ratio of your dish. In this case, using the same diameter (D) = 120; and the calculated focal distance (f) = 50
f / D = 50 / 120 = .416
f /D = .416 which you would round up to give you a setting of .42
The list below shows how far the throat is out from the scalar rings for different f/D settings.
EXAMPLE: A dish with a .42 f/D will have the throat about flush with the rings.
Inches -- f/D
.12 ------ .42
.32 ------ .40
.52 ------ .38
.72 ------ .36
.92 ------ .34
1.12 ---- .32

Sadoun, do you have available that C band conical scalar ring yet? If so, how much do you sell these for?

This weekend, I may experiment using coffee cans, cereal bowls and dog dishes. :)

Last edited:
Sadoun has said that it's coming soon since I got my 1.2 Meter dish about 5 months ago :(.

PopcornNMore - I have heard that oil funnels could work, so you might want to add that to your list :).

Thank you TVROPRO for the F/D formulas.

Qwert1515, I may just try an oil funnel. :) I am thinking possibly a can within a can within a can might work. My wife is going to be rolling her eyes this weekend. :)

I found a place in New Zealand that sells the conical scalar rings (man, it's hard to believe there isn't someplace closer!). But they want over $50 for one (plus shipping)!!

Oil funnels can work :) I tested it out on my Fortec120cm at IS-9 months ago (before I got a real conial ring :) )

I think I posted some funny pictures here in the past.

Get a couple of cheap plastic ones that you can cut to fit the LNB. Layer it with some aluminum foil and it will give you a pretty decend.

Very ghetto setup but i did work better that the flat scalar ring :)

I found a place in New Zealand that sells the conical scalar rings (man, it's hard to believe there isn't someplace closer!). But they want over $50 for one (plus shipping)!!

I got mine off craigslist and paid about the same :(

If there are enough people, may want to consider getting a group order in to save cost.

Do you got a link so we can take a look?

Scottc98 how much of an improvement do you see with the scaler ring?

Do you see any improvement on 121 Degrees west, I think thats your favorite satellite ;)

price

using: XE.com - UCC Error

Live rates at 2007.10.06 01:01:14 UTC

54.00 NZD = 41.1852 USD

New Zealand Dollars . . . . . United States Dollars
1 NZD = 0.762689 USD . . . 1 USD = 1.31115 NZD

edit:
also.... I did some China-shopping the other day, and found C-band LNBs for $3.50...
... so you gotta expect the conical scalers can be had for a few bucks.

Right now I am stationary at 121. I pretty much get everything listed on lyngsat.

The highest are on the first 4: They are between 70-99 quality measuring from outside.

(STO I can get to 99 quaility, but it messes up the V tps).

I think I have some signal loss with the run into the house to the Twinhan. The 102G always showed lower reading than the classic NA:

Nevertheless, I can get ETTV/IMF/AJE mux at about 33% (31 starts breakups) and Documentry channel mux at 35 Q (no probs).

I know that I need to fine tune my dish but overall (in past tests), I saw a 15-20Q jump with the ring. That may not sound like much but its normally the difference from getting a channel or not.

The ring is part of the reason I had to modify the holder for the BSC621.

Qwert1515: Don't you have about the same setup as I do minus the ring? If so, what are you getting at this sat now?

I am using a Pansat 2700 right now,
(similar results with Pansat 3500 before it went to the hospital)
I think that Pansats readings are usually lower than other receivers.
I know the Twinhans are much lower too, I have a Twinhan 102G if you want to compare with that.

STO - 55% breaks up @ 27%, I can get this one upto 75% if I move the dish for it but like in your case it messes up the vertical transponders.
ETTV/IMF/AJE - 40% breaks up @ 23%
Doc - 40% breaks up @ 27%

I used my motor to figure out at what strength the video breaks up at.

EDIT - after looking at another satellite (99 degrees west) it looks like my signals are a bit lower than usual, so my dish might be slightly out of alignment..

c-ku band

I am still trying to determine which system to buy> If I buy fta system with a invacom quad and a 4' dish will I get only ku or does the receiver allow to pick up c band also?

I am still trying to determine which system to buy> If I buy fta system with a invacom quad and a 4' dish will I get only ku or does the receiver allow to pick up c band also?
First a 4' dish is very undersized for c-band. It may pickup some things, but for the most part, you'll only get the powerful signals, and only those that are not close to other sats that would cause interference. It appears that a decently tuned smaller dish like a 4' may be sufficient for some, but you're opening yourself up for problems - like wind/snow/adjacent sat signal changes/etc that you won't see if you go for a larger equally tuned dish.

Second, an invacom quad will only pickup ku-band. You'd need a c-band lnb, or a dual c/ku band lnb if you wanted to pickup c-band. Also, the Invacom quad is just combined linear and circular ... the only thing you're going to find on circular these days is nasa and the music channels, so the added expense of this lnb may not be worth it for you if you are not interested in either of these things.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)