CM 4228 Mounted Sideways?

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I am thinking of buying a CM 4228 for an attic mount, but due to low clearance, it might have to be setup sideways. By sideways, I mean, positioning it so that the side that would normally be on top would be moved 90 degrees in one direction. I would still face the antenna toward the transmitters.

Would this mount affect reception?

kelton325, to give a better answer to your question you need to tell everyone the digital tv rf channels for your area. a layman explaination of how polorazation happens the higher the frequency of the channel the more the rf transmitter enforces polorazation.

The cm4228 measures 39.5" across by 36" up and down (just measured one). We are only talking about a 3.5" here.

Installing sideways will be 3.5" taller.

Last edited:
Just an example of polarization at work, try connecting a standard tv antenna to a police scanner. You won't get much. Rotate the main axis of the antenna by 90° so that the elements point up and down, and it works magnificently.

Television signals are horizontally polarized. VHF and UHF narrowband FM transmissions are vertically polarized. I believe that FM broadcast signals in the 88-108 MHz band are transmitted in both polarizations.

I have a Radio Shack U-75 UHF yagi, rotated vertically, that I use to receive my local town's 800 MHz trunked radio system. Works great.

You will be disappointed if you try to rotate your 4228 to vertical polarization.

information: gbranch, if you dont have a P25 radio your missing a lot.

Last edited:
roashru said:
kelton325, to give a better answer to your question you need to tell everyone the digital tv rf channels for your area. a layman explaination of how polorazation happens the higher the frequency of the channel the more the rf transmitter enforces polorazation.

Here are the channels I am after:

kelton325

The cm4228 measures 39.5" across by 36" up and down . We are only talking about a 3.5" difference here. Its bigger across. And you have a clearance issue? Which way?

kick me, cause I do not get it...what is the issue:confused:

What do you tend to gain by mounting the antenna sideways:confused:

Installing sideways, the antenna will be 3.5" taller.

Rick0725 - you are right, I think I must've misread the specs somewhere... I was thinking that it was 39.5" up and down. I think I might be OK to mount it up and down in the attic.

Thanks everyone for the posts, sorry to kick off a debate based on my misreading specs!

Model CM4228
Antenna Width 39.5"
Antenna Height 36"

from cm web site and my measurement of stock. So lets move on.

Thanks

Last edited: