CNBC: If NFL Lockout in 2011, D* still on hook for $700 Million

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep we have been thru this:

- Its actually $1,000,000,000.
The directv sunday ticket contract is $700,000,000 for the 2010 season but the extension is then $1,000,000,000 each season for 2011-2014.

- It wouldnt be a lockout....it would be a strike....the owners can impose a "final last offer" deal & if the players dont accept they would essentially be striking.

- CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN are in the same boat that they would all still owe the NFL $$ too....But the NFL said they would all get a break on future contracts so basically they would get their "lost" $$ back down the road & then some.

Why wouldn't it be a lockout? If the owners don't let the players play, it's a lockout. You can spin it however you wan't, but the owners are the ones that will shut down the league if a deal can't be reached.

- There were 2....1982 & 1987.

- As i had posted in this thread it would not be a lockout it would be a strike (see above).

The current deal is dead as it ends march 2011 & the owners have already opted out of the rest of the years after that.

You are right that there were two. The head of the players union is saying it will be a lockout because they already have a contract. It doesn't matter what you call it, the result will be the same. I'm just betting that it won't happen. I would not be shocked if it does though.

Why wouldn't it be a lockout? If the owners don't let the players play, it's a lockout. You can spin it however you wan't, but the owners are the ones that will shut down the league if a deal can't be reached.

The head of the players union is saying it will be a lockout because they already have a contract.

I told u why it wouldnt be a lockout.

The owners have the ability, as long as they bargain in good faith (which is impossible to prove they didnt), to enact whats basically called "the final offer rule"....whatever their last offer is the players have to decide to accept it or not....the owners wouldnt lock the players out....if the players showed up they would be accepting the new contract....if they dont then they would be striking....the training camp gates will all be open so it would be the players not showing up then....it wont be a lockout it would be a strike.

& of course the players rep will say its still a lockout what else is he going to say.

It makes a difference whether it's a lock out or a strike because?

In a lockout, the owners are not letting anyone play. In a strike, the owners could get replacements again to play.

No they cant....it is now illegal to have replacement players.

There is no diff really, well in theory a lockout feels like the owners are more to blame while a strike makes it feel the players are more to blame.

I was just saying how technically it would be a strike not a lockout.

But like you i just dont see it going that far.

Just trying to think what it would be like with replacement players. Getting injured just running out to the field?

Just trying to think what it would be like with replacement players. Getting injured just running out to the field?

They did that once and some of the replacement players ended up staying on. It was a mess though and they probably wouldn't want to do it again. I agree with dcowboy7 that there will be an agreement. Most likely at one minute to midnight on the last day.

Just heard about the Super Bowl being played in New York. That should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)