CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't know why a lot of people think that a la carte must replace the current system. You like it as it is and it makes more sense for you, fine, keep it. But add the a la carte option also. Personally I don't need hundreds of channels. That's why I canceled Dish and I can tell you that I don't miss it at all. Plenty of OTA channels where I live plus Netflix. That's more than enough for us.

Reactions: TheKrell
These mini packs that I am talking about right now is different than Dish Pix in that you could pick 10 individual channels from different companies vs. buying most if not all the channels that a particular company had to offer. By doing that ala carte is not an issue for them. The only issue for them at this point would be the ones that were less popular and may not get many subscribers. If most companies end up offering their suite of channels on their own then I am sure a device will become available to bring them all back together in one place.

Reactions: ohioankev
These mini packs that I am talking about right now is different than Dish Pix in that you could pick 10 individual channels from different companies vs. buying most if not all the channels that a particular company had to offer. By doing that ala carte is not an issue for them. The only issue for them at this point would be the ones that were less popular and may not get many subscribers. If most companies end up offering their suite of channels on their own then I am sure a device will become available to bring them all back together in one place.
I remember DISH PIX, cool concept but at the time their Top America 120 package was only $19.99/month.

And on the other (smaller) end of the spectrum, some people are cultured and discerning enough that most of the drivel being pushed nowadays is uninteresting and banal. ;)
Well while I agree, the younger generation thinks most stuff on TCM for example is corny and banal.

All in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Providers like the bundling too... do you think channels like TCM and other niche channels would make it.. no way.. they wouldn't get a enough subscribers and the channel would go under... by bundling it with more popular channels CNN, Cartoon network etc the channel lives on.
You are wrong about TCM. It would definitely survive.

Reactions: long_time_DNC
You are wrong about TCM. It would definitely survive.
Why because you like it, I like it also, but it is a very low viewed channel, only the older generation really watch it. It also has no commercials so its solely supported by its bundle channels.

A very, very small percentage. Not even all the members on this site truly understand.

Please explain in your own words so the rest of us can understand how this intricate process works.

Actually if dish would take $5 per month off my bill with these channels gone I could live with that, they can also include TBS & TNT.

So I called the morning CNN etc was dropped and got $10 credit for 6 months. Tonight I called about a PPV certificate that I have and asked about it again. Now I got Cinemax and Showtime free for a month. Can't wait to see what I get next week. But seriously, I'd rather have CNN with all the crap going on, attacks on Canada and now Ebola in NYC. Oh, I've been a customer for almost 10 years, out of contract.

Why because you like it, I like it also, but it is a very low viewed channel, only the older generation really watch it. It also has no commercials so its solely supported by its bundle channels.
TCM has an incredible amount of commercials for all of the classic movie DVDs that they are always hawking. The ads are quite annoying.

Regarding CNN: I can wait two or three years and not miss CNN. It really has gone downhill recently.

They can when the product isn't being watched by any appreciable audience. DISH I'm sure does not want to go forever without these channels, but on the flip side there are reasonable and some would say better in some cases alternatives to these channels already in their lineup.

Dude, Fox AND CNN are by far the majority watched news channels. Saying either "isn't being watched by any appreciable audience" is a bias to content speaking, not facts. Dish doesn't want to lose EITHER, no matter which at this point in time is #1 because they both have been #1 at different points in time and these contracts aren't about today but the ever evolving future. And if you think in the same situation Charlie wouldn't do the same to Fox, you don't know Charlie. First off, no one is losing anything, its the way these deals are negotiated more and more over time, regardless of which channel it is and what content it provides as evidenced by Dish dropping AMC and some of the hottest shows on cable, The Walking Dead, Mad Men and Breaking Bad with very loyal fans in 2012. In 2o12, Walking Dead was the most watched cable show for the year overall and in the key demographic groups. http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/12/this-years-most-watched-cable-shows/

CNN stopped being just a news channel this year and is now more of a documentary channel. That's what gets ratings for them and they can show them over and over again. Fox has four or five times as many viewers as CNNs.

I guess you didn't see the RT part
I get more coverage on RT and aljazeera than CNN, I just like unbiased live coverage.

It don't even have to be live is not like CNN gets exclusive like they make you believe,

And sometimes I watch on websites or Roku first and have breaking news before CNN decides to finish their tabloid news and report that same news as first time breaking news

No I didn't and I laughed because RT is pure Russian official party line, the world according to the Kremlin. So much so they have anchors quitting on air, refusing to report fiction as news. That is about as biased as source that currently exists.

Reactions: ncted
Dude, Fox AND CNN are by far the majority watched news channels. Saying either "isn't being watched by any appreciable audience" is a bias to content speaking, not facts. Dish doesn't want to lose EITHER, no matter which at this point in time is #1 because they both have been #1 at different points in time and these contracts aren't about today but the ever evolving future. And if you think in the same situation Charlie wouldn't do the same to Fox, you don't know Charlie. First off, no one is losing anything, its the way these deals are negotiated more and more over time, regardless of which channel it is and what content it provides as evidenced by Dish dropping AMC and some of the hottest shows on cable, The Walking Dead, Mad Men and Breaking Bad with very loyal fans in 2012. In 2o12, Walking Dead was the most watched cable show for the year overall and in the key demographic groups. http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/12/this-years-most-watched-cable-shows/

"Dude" I don't fully understand your whole post, but the relevant part I do. CNN is NOT being watched by an appreciable audience. It's advertising revenue is way down and as a result there are alot of layoffs.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/10/cnn-layoffs-continue-197144.html

My posts have nothing to do with politics, and you can bury your head in the sand if you want to. CNN sometimes is the 2nd most watched sometimes 3rd, but being 2nd with horrible viewership means nothing. As I posted FOX has something like 4 and at times 5 times the viewership.
It's why the article was written that I posted in an earlier response that at one time no one would have let CNN drop because of their audience, and now Turner can't let it be dropped too long because it illustrates just how few are now watching it and that even more may just find other news channels to watch.

http://deadline.com/2014/04/cnn-ratings-low-q1-2014-fox-news-msnbc-707919/
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/09/30/fox-slaughters-msnbc-cnn-ratings-milestone

TCM is a niche channel that has a very loyal following that many people would pay for. A lot of what they have is not available to stream.

"Dude" I don't fully understand your whole post, but the relevant part I do. CNN is NOT being watched by an appreciable audience. It's advertising revenue is way down and as a result there are alot of layoffs.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/10/cnn-layoffs-continue-197144.html

My posts have nothing to do with politics, and you can bury your head in the sand if you want to. CNN sometimes is the 2nd most watched sometimes 3rd, but being 2nd with horrible viewership means nothing. As I posted FOX has something like 4 and at times 5 times the viewership.
It's why the article was written that I posted in an earlier response that at one time no one would have let CNN drop because of their audience, and now Turner can't let it be dropped too long because it illustrates just how few are now watching it and that even more may just find other news channels to watch.

http://deadline.com/2014/04/cnn-ratings-low-q1-2014-fox-news-msnbc-707919/
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/09/30/fox-slaughters-msnbc-cnn-ratings-milestone

Does Dish only carry the top watched broadcast network, sports network, premium network, etc?? Dish cut AMC during negotiations. AMC had the number 1 show in terms of viewers of all of cable. Dish sued ABC/ESPN and because of this dispute a number of channels for YEARS were only in SD. This is how THEY NEGOTIATE, no matter WHAT the channel ratings. So with that in mind, saying Charlie won't cut a channel because of viewers must mean to you the content is so important he wouldn't do it because in reality, number of viewers isn't a relevant reason to him.

Here is a link to disputes Dish has had with various providers. Expect it to only get bigger as time goes by.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Dish_Network#Programming_disagreements

You have it backwards. If charlie was willing to let AMC go to dispute and be off, I am saying he certainly will for CNN with a fraction of the AMC - or FOX viewership. And he has done just that. He won't be so willing to compromise over CNN/HLN and the others in dispute because all are low watched channels overall. If this was the Turner channels TNT or TBS, he likely would not be so quick to have them off or at least off long. I think the Disney channels stayed on partly because of their viewership, DISH negotiated differently than they will for CNN/HLN....
If the asking price is just considered too high viewership won't matter, but of course DISH will negotiate differently for a highly rated channel than of a low rated one.

Last edited:
Instead of the pissing match over which channel is more popular, if you have a Hopper, do this: Guide, blue button, pick "News...", then National (vs Local), and see what's most popular. Right now isn't the best time to check, of course, with CNN missing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Am I reading that chart correctly? That the total cost for ALL channels is $45? Yet Dish et al charge $75 up to $150 for their packages? And we bitch about what the program providers are charging?
While Dish may not pay their employees alot, I'm pretty certain they do pay them. And the birds in the air aren't cheap either. Amazon.com is the best place to buy one but they are still over $1 billion. A little less when you get the 5 pack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)