CNN: DOJ approves merger

The way I read it if you have a car with Sirius, you could add sports and talk from XM and all the current Sirius programs for 16.99.

In my case I have a new car with XM and could add sports and talk from Sirius to my XM for 16.99.

Sounds great to me the best of both worlds. XM sports suck sinc losing NASCAR, except they do have exclusive baseball. Now Sirus subs can add baseball to there lineup.

For all the present cars, does the satellite radio have to be reprogramed or will it just be able to tune in both companies?

The rule book was thrown out years ago when media companies were allowed to buy a combination of newspapers, television, and radio stations all in the same market. So this thing with XM and Sirius should've gone through some time ago. Better late than never.

-snip-If D* and E* had merged, and it gave you more channels and lower prices, you'd be jumping for joy. This is no different. These companies now can quit trying to cut costs and sacrificing good talent and focus on making a better overall medium.

I was waiting for someone to make a comparison with the Direc Tv and Dish Network merger.

It's not a monopoly as Satellite Radio competes with regular radio (as it does with things like Ipods etc)

Here is the statement from the DOJ.

Official statement:

"After a careful and thorough review of the proposed transaction, the Division concluded that the evidence does not demonstrate that the proposed merger of XM and Sirius is likely to substantially lessen competition, and that the transaction therefore is not likely to harm consumers.-snip-

Anyone remember the following:?

"JUSTICE DEPARTMENT FILES SUIT TO BLOCK ECHOSTAR’S ACQUISITION OF HUGHES ELECTRONICS

Merger Of Directv And Dish Network Direct Broadcast Satellite Television Systems Would Harm Consumers Across The United States

WASHINGTON, D.C.- The Department of Justice today filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., to block the proposed acquisition of Hughes Electronics Corporation by Echostar Communications Corporation. The Department said if the merger were allowed to proceed, it would eliminate competition between the nation's two most significant direct broadcast satellite services - Hughes's DirecTV and Echostar's DISH Network - and would substantially reduce competition in the multichannel video programming distribution business to the detriment of consumers throughout the United States. The Department was joined in its lawsuit by the Attorneys General of 23 states, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

“This merger would give Echostar control of the skies for the provision of video programming by satellite, leaving customers to suffer from the resulting reduction in competition,” said Charles A. James, Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Antitrust Division.

"This merger would create a monopoly in those areas where cable television is not available, thereby eliminating the only competitive choice for millions of households. It would leave tens of millions of households - for whom DirecTV, DISH Network, and cable now compete to provide multichannel video programming distribution service - with a reduction from three to two competitive choices," James continued."

#631: 10-31-02 JUSTICE DEPARTMENT FILES SUIT TO BLOCK ECHOSTAR’S ACQUISITION OF HUGHES ELECTRONICS

What's the difference?

In the 2001 merger, in areas where multi channel video programming distribution was not available, a single DBS supplier was determined to be a monopoly.

However, for this proposed merger, there are areas where multi channel audio programming distribution is not available (radio on cable systems for example), a single satellite radio provider is not a monopoly.

By comparing these two mergers, I wonder if Echostar didn't grease the regulators as well as XM and Sirius did...... Or maybe in the 2001 merger, there were other lobbyists who intervened.

XM/Sirius are competing with all forms of digital music/news though. There is nowhere in north America where there inst competition with an ipod, internet radio, and other forms of portable music/news.

Additionally, they are surely significantly more people in rural areas without TV/Cable access than those who are unable to get some kind of terrestrial radio.

The landscape has changed a ton, give it some time for easier to access alternatives to mature and an E*/D* merger could happen.

Satellite radio competes with free radio, MP3 players, CD players, Tape players, record players, the internet, streaming medium, television, on demand programming... you get the idea.

What are these tape and record players you speak of? But seriously, this is good news. I definitely will be looking more closely now, especially if they come up with the cheaper packages for those of us who don't have an overly long time in the car every day.

No different than Dish Network and DirecTv merging. Two radio companies competing against FM vs. satellite tv competing against cable/OTA/FIOS. Satellite keeps the same price nationwide so those in the country would not see any higher prices than those in the city where they are competing against cable/FIOS.

Prices will not rise and no one will have to buy a new radio...............Can we hold you to that statement?:cool:

Go to SIRIUSmerger.com | SIRIUS + XM Satellite Radio = More Choices, Better Pricing, Same Radios for more info.

Looks like XM and Sirius units will be able to pick up some stations from both services on their existing units. Buuuuuut. . .It also appears that those that are interested in Ala Carte may need a new dual radio (one that hasn't been built yet that will receive XM and Sirius channels).

Sounds like we're good to go with our old units and our existing plans but may need to upgrade if we want to go Ala Carte. And read the wording on that site carefully as they list "some" channels from the other service. Sounds to me like even if I subscribe to the Everything pack on Sirius @ $12.95 a month, I may not get everything they will offer without an upgrade to the dual radio.

Also, I'm not sure how this Ala Carte thing is going to work with sports. Often, Sirius puts the NCAA football and NFL games on different channels than just the ones that are reserved for sports (I.E. move a home broadcast to a weather channel, Martha Stewart, etc.). For those that are subscribing to Sirius for NFL and (hopefully soon) MLB, this may be a big issue if you are planning on going Ala Carte. Have found no information on this issue or how this will be addressed.

It was asked once before in this thread with no response, what happens to lifetime subs? I have a Sirius lifetime sub, will that remain intact?

It was asked once before in this thread with no response, what happens to lifetime subs? I have a Sirius lifetime sub, will that remain intact?

I am also a lifetime member and recently emailed Sirius about that same questions, below was their response:

"Thank you for your recent email. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact SIRIUS regarding our Lifetime Plan. We're happy to help! We're excited to hear that you have taken advantage of our Lifetime Plan. While the Lifetime Plan with three transfers at $75.00 each will be honored after our merger with XM at this time, we are unable to guarantee this will not change. We apologize for any
frustration this may cause."

I think this basically means they will honor it for what you have now, but if you want to add any XM channels, then there could be additional costs...time will tell.

offline streaming

Thanks guys for providing such a nice forum. Today i am here to seek your help regarding online streaming radio thing. I am a chemist and having limited knowledge of html/java. I am planning to work on an online radio on folk music. So my interest is is an audio broadcasting service transmitted via the Internet. I learnt that the most common way to distribute Internet radio is via streaming technology using a lossy audio codec. Can anyone help me out to know more about his. Is it possible to plan some program which without involving any remote computer can play the recorded mp3s as online one?
So i might record the entire 8Hr telecast in night which i wish to play as online transmission during day.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot
Shailesh
New York

To get things back on topic I understand that approval may be delayed yet again as some members of congress wnat more concessions.

Same NAB bribed blowhards.....

One way or another.... things will be decided this month I feel..... Having the stocks of both companies plummet this past month will probably shove them to make a deal, since they will either get one company with concessions and no consumers harmed, or one company after a bankruptcy of XM with millions of consumers left with worthless equipment, no concessions, and ticked off consumers and stockholders who will demand WHY it took them 300% longer than their stated anticipated deadline of six months to rule on the deal....

Hey NAB! If they AREN'T a monopoly in that they are your competition, then you have no case. If they are a monopoly, then you AREN'T competing with them, then you should have no argument as an aggrieved party. But you sure are spending money like crazy trying to weaken these competitors by blocking or stalling the deal..

For all the present cars, does the satellite radio have to be reprogramed or will it just be able to tune in both companies?

No one knows what will be available. But it seems that a limited suite of channels from the other provider will be available with existing equipment but I don't think it has been determined what those are.

the only specific statement I see is that the package with some your old programming f(more or less) plus rom the other provider would costa total of $16.99.

here is what is on the XM website

Following the FCC's approval of the merger, XM subscribers will enjoy a full complement of programming like they do today at their current subscription of $12.95. XM will also offer subscribers XM service and a selection of SIRIUS programming for a total price of $16.99. Several other new programming packages will be offered, including two "family-friendly" options and packages featuring mostly music, or music, news and talk, etc. The programming line up will be announced after the deal closes.

The Sirius webite says this about what the selection of programming from the other provider is

Karmazin did not go into details on what the “selected” channels might be and whether a consumer would be able to get both major league baseball and National Football League games, or both Howard Stern and Oprah on a typical XM or Sirius receiver, as he had promised at Senate and House Congressional hearings months ago.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)