CNN: DOJ approves merger

As long as companies like Clear channel continue to "donate" to various congressmen. Who knows, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyone who is opposed to this merger needs to head to a doctor to see that you have normal brain activity.

This is positive in EVERY possible way. Most of you people b*tching don't know all the facts and are asking stupid questions:

1. This merger will raise the price of subscriptions: FALSE! Satellite Radio is not a necessity to live, nor is there an inelastic demand for it. Mel Karmazin said it best, "We're struggling right now to attract and keep customers the way things are. Why would we raise our prices and push people away?" This will allow for cheaper prices for the consumers and finally allow a merging of content.

2. You will need a new radio: FALSE! As long as you have a moderately new radio, it will receive content from both services. Mel assured this to Congress, and Mel is a stand-up great guy. Don't forget that if it were not for him that the 2nd biggest radio company (CBS Radio) would likely not even exist today and we'd all be stuck with the piece of junk that is known as Crappy Channel. Oh excuse me, Clear Channel.

3. This is a monopoly: FALSE! Saying that this is a monopoly would be like saying that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo merging is one. Just because you're a monopoly in one specific niche does not make you a true monopoly. Satellite radio competes with free radio, MP3 players, CD players, Tape players, record players, the internet, streaming medium, television, on demand programming... you get the idea.

I will never understand people who think that the idea of more programming and lower prices for programming is somehow NEGATIVE in any way. If D* and E* had merged, and it gave you more channels and lower prices, you'd be jumping for joy. This is no different. These companies now can quit trying to cut costs and sacrificing good talent and focus on making a better overall medium. The prospect that I can get all these music channels, every sporting event known to man, and all the great comedy and talent on 1 service and one radio is the best news I have heard in a long time.

And F-The NAB for trying to block this deal. They've been more anti-technology and progress than the Bush Administration has been anti-common sense.

As long as I don't lose my Sirius channels I will be happy.

Anyone who is opposed to this merger needs to head to a doctor to see that you have normal brain activity.

This is positive in EVERY possible way. Most of you people b*tching don't know all the facts and are asking stupid questions:

1. This merger will raise the price of subscriptions: FALSE! Satellite Radio is not a necessity to live, nor is there an inelastic demand for it. Mel Karmazin said it best, "We're struggling right now to attract and keep customers the way things are. Why would we raise our prices and push people away?" This will allow for cheaper prices for the consumers and finally allow a merging of content.

2. You will need a new radio: FALSE! As long as you have a moderately new radio, it will receive content from both services. Mel assured this to Congress, and Mel is a stand-up great guy. Don't forget that if it were not for him that the 2nd biggest radio company (CBS Radio) would likely not even exist today and we'd all be stuck with the piece of junk that is known as Crappy Channel. Oh excuse me, Clear Channel.

Prices will not rise and no one will have to buy a new radio...............Can we hold you to that statement?:cool:

I thought XM sats were geosynchronous and Sirius sats are in an elliptical orbit. Will that have an effect on this?

I am sure they could just uplink the content to both sats, but I have no idea how they receive the signal.

Where you at sat radio experts?

Satellite radio is indirectly in competition with regular radio, iPods, etc. I have a choice when it comes to my listening entertainment needs.

Don't forget HD Radio. I have XM & Sirius subs but that didn't stop me from getting a new HD Radio. I live in Chicago area and have an abundance of good HD2 stations with more onthe way. I'm sure sure most large cities are the same.

What the FCC does will be interesting.

Question...for those that think that regular radio, HD radio, etc is in direct competition with sat radio...do you also think that D* and E* are in direct competition with your local television stations?

I have been an sat radio subscriber for 4 years and would never go back to listening to regular radio. I occasionally use my MP3 player in the car.

Short term this may be good for the Sat Radio Consumer with some crossover of content, keeping the same radio hardware, etc.

Longterm XM/Sirius have to switch to one system or the other to actually save money. That is when someone will be left holding the sat radio equivalent of an HDDVD player.

I also don't think that one Sat Radio company is quite as motivated to continue hardware improvements since no one is introducing a better mousetrap at the other company any more.

Hello, long time reader...first time poster here.

This is definitely good news (imo), however does anyone know what this means to lifetime suscribers? I am currently a lifetime member of Sirius and I am wondering if I will be able to get programming from both or will they hold me to only the sirius channels since that is what I originally signed up for.

HD Radio is TERRIBLE if you don't live near the towers.

?!??? I get rediculous signal, but then again I live in a flat state.. not much to block anything.. some of the other stations on hd radio are cool but nothing like sat radio..

darrencp22 said:
I dont understand the point of HD radio. My regular analog radio works fine.

HD radio is like digital tv.. CD quality radio.. FM quality AM radio.. and multiple stations per frequency..

What the FCC does will be interesting.

Question...for those that think that regular radio, HD radio, etc is in direct competition with sat radio...do you also think that D* and E* are in direct competition with your local television stations?

No.

Question.... do you think Clear Channel owning all the major radio stations in my town is a monopoly?

I am glad for the merger. When we decided to purchase a new car, we were extremely disappointed that just about all models you do not have a choice in satellite radio service. We wanted built in satellite radio so we didn't have to use our portable. Well, we had to find a car based on the satellite service. My wife is a Howard Stern fan so we have Sirius. The cars we wanted the most have XM service, so we bought a car that had Sirius. Now, from my understanding is that you will have a choice after the merger. Not sure if it will be a way to make that happen in all present cars. Does anyone know?

I am glad for the merger. When we decided to purchase a new car, we were extremely disappointed that just about all models you do not have a choice in satellite radio service. We wanted built in satellite radio so we didn't have to use our portable. Well, we had to find a car based on the satellite service. My wife is a Howard Stern fan so we have Sirius. The cars we wanted the most have XM service, so we bought a car that had Sirius. Now, from my understanding is that you will have a choice after the merger. Not sure if it will be a way to make that happen in all present cars. Does anyone know?

The way I read it if you have a car with Sirius, you could add sports and talk from XM and all the current Sirius programs for 16.99.

In my case I have a new car with XM and could add sports and talk from Sirius to my XM for 16.99.

Sounds great to me the best of both worlds. XM sports suck sinc losing NASCAR, except they do have exclusive baseball. Now Sirus subs can add baseball to there lineup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)