coax cable connection to an LCD monitor

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
At my camper, I have a very long coaxial cable running from the output port of my inside DirecTV box to various locations outside of the camper. I have been connecting the coax to a small 12 inch TV thus far. However, my wife says its too small to see while sitting outside, and that she wants me to get a decent sized (maybe 23 inch) cheap LCD computer monitor to use in place of the TV. My question is: what do I need to connect/convert the DirecTV output coax to the (input of) a particular LCD??

The problem is your type of connection. The coax cable is an RF type connection. The DTV box is sending out an analog TV signal on channel 3 which you connect to on the small TV.

A computer monitor will not have a TV tuner built in, so it won't be able to use that connection. You have a couple of options.
Option #1: you could buy a 20-26" TV instead and use the tuner.
Option #2: If your DTV box has an HDMI connector, you could buy a modern computer monitor and connect via HDMI. The problem is that most monitors don't have speakers or volume controls for audio, so you would need to set up an amplifier and speakers in addition. That is probably more trouble than its worth.
Option #3: You could buy RF to RCA adapters for the coax and connect to the composite (yellow) output of the DTV box to the Yellow input of a monitor. Not all monitors have component inputs though, and you still have the audio problem.
Option #4: Upgrade everything to a HD sat box, a bigger monitor and connect via HDMI.

Of the 4 options, the simplest one is probably to simply get a bigger flat panel TV in 19-26" and use the existing coax.

I just reread my response and it looks confusing.

Just buy a TV with an analog tuner instead of a computer monitor. The computer monitor doesn't have the input you need. If you get the TV, ask the salesman to make sure it still has an NTSC (analog) tuner and then simply use it the way you always have.

I just reread my response and it looks confusing.

Just buy a TV with an analog tuner instead of a computer monitor. The computer monitor doesn't have the input you need. If you get the TV, ask the salesman to make sure it still has an NTSC (analog) tuner and then simply use it the way you always have.

Thank you - I am going to get an LCD TV with NTSC input

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts