Coax Cable Length

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yea boy is it a pain in da ass to work with. WHen I used it to give signal to a guest house I found out how much a pain it is to work with. But you can put maybe some RG6 in a conduit and have it water tight and it would be easier to work with
Be careful with coax in conduit - you'll change the impedance of the cable. Coax can go inside PVC no problem, but if metallic thinwall or rigid you'll want to be inside a minimum 1" pipe else you'll wind up with signal loss you can't explain.

The physics of coax is such that metallic surfaces outside the braid have NO effect on the signal within including the impedance. (As my physicist self.)

Ground loops, pickup, and such are a different problem and they will tell you to tie the braid to a conduit at only one end to avoid them.

-Ken

The physics of coax is such that metallic surfaces outside the braid have NO effect on the signal within including the impedance. (As my physicist self.)

Ground loops, pickup, and such are a different problem and they will tell you to tie the braid to a conduit at only one end to avoid them.

-Ken
Thanks Ken. I will defer to your expertise on this. Merely sharing what we observed with a TDR and RG6 (single shield) inside 1/2" EMT (but with no electrical connection to the coax. No doubt your suggetsion to connect the braid at one end to the conduit would have solved the problem. (never even thought of that, but it makes sense) :eek: The coax conduit was overhead alongside 480/3-phase in a welding dept and was put in conduit simply for physical protection rather than using .412 hardline. (old Allen Bradley Token Ring network)

There are so many factors that go into determining if that's a good idea it shouldn't be viewed as a rule set in stone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)