Coax connection in travel trailer

winderguy

Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Georgia
My travel trailer has a Winegard amplified wallplate for tv connection in it.
There is a circuit board on back of the wallplate.
The coax from the antenna terminates on the circuit board, and the coax from the outside CATV connector also terminates on this board.
When I connect coax from dish to the outside connector, I get no signal passing thru.
Must I install a separate wallplate for the dish?

You need to bypass that ckt board. On my old trailer, we added a separate coax in for the satellite. On the new, we have two separate built in coax runs.

yes. You need a cable connection from the dish/switch to the receiver with nothing in between

That sounds like a special coax for an antenna (amplified maybe)

Best to run a new cable and new wall plate. You can probably replace that existing one

YEs, you need a 2nd coax.

If you have a secondary bedroom coax outlet, you can use a regular TV 3way splitter on the TV output on the back of your dish receiver and feed to 2 outputs, 1st- back into the wall plate/amp where it will send the signal to the bedroom TV and 2nd - to your Living room tv RF input . Since I have a dual DVR, I can watch one thing in the livingroom and the bedroom TV2 gets its own remote & programming, just like if we were at home.

My TV1 is also connected to Component HD and is set on SD chan 55 out and TV2 to SD chan 66 so either TV can see what the other is watching if they desire If we are hooked to outside local cable through the wallplate or antenna at a campground we can get those channels plus the Dish, I can move the dish rcvr outputs to unused antenna/cable channels if locals/cable interfere. This might be confusing if you don't have a 2-tuner DVR in your RV.

Dish DVR RCVR
| |
SPLITTER
| |........| |
Wall amp''''''LR TV1​

You can just bypass the circuit board and run the coax directly thru the outlet, but then you would not have an outside antenna for OTA.

You can just bypass the circuit board and run the coax directly thru the outlet, but then you would not have an outside antenna for OTA.

Here is a doc that shows what to do quite clearly and explains it quite well. Basically you are bringing line in past the amp and then depending on if your hookkup is cable/Ant or Dish you can backfeed the output from dish tuner 2 to the rest of the camper or the cable/ant feed.

Attachments

• satellite_rewire.pdf
    957.8 KB · Views: 318

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts