Coax keeps shorting, loosing signal on only 1 Receiver

vipul128

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Hello, I have a 2 ViP 612 receivers and am having a problem with 1 constantly shorting out the coax and loosing signal. I am hoping someone here might have experience with this as to whether the DP44 switch or the receiver might be causing the problem.

2 weeks ago I lost signal on one of my ViP 612 receivers and through troubleshooting found that the coax was bad. I replaced the coax to that receiver and everything worked fine for about a week and the same thing happened again. No signal on that one receiver and the coax is bad again. Could this be the switch or the receiver? I really want to avoid having a technician come out since I have already wasted enough days off for Dish Network to come out and upgrade my equipment, adjust misaligned dish twice, etc.

Here is my setup:

TV 1 ---> ViP 612 ---> Power Inserter --->Port 1 on DP44 Switch (working fine)
TV 2 ---> ViP 612 ---> DP44 Switch (coax keeps shorting)

Do you think Dish will just send the equipment so I can do it myself instead of me having to wait around for a tech?

Thanks again for the help in advance.

It is a Dish 500+ which picks up 110,118,119. And another dish that picks up 129. So, not a DPP dish.

Have you tried switching the 612s and see if the problem follows it?

How did you test to determine the cable is bad?

If the cable run between the dish and rec is short, it may work better without the power inserter.

You could also look into replacing your 118 lnb with the new one-piece unit that eliminates the dpp44 and inserter

If you are sure it is the rec, they can ship you one to replace it. Contact one of the DIRT members, they should be able to set it up for you.

I've moved the 612 to the first TV that has the power inserter and it works just fine there. This is why I think the coax has shorted somehow. This also leads me to think it's the switch that's bad and not the receiver. Would one of the DIRT members send me a new switch to swap out myself? Thanks again for the suggestions

cable itself rarely goes bad unless it is physically damaged, gets water in it from bad connections or takes a massive power surge.

you can try sending a PM to one of the DIRT members and see what they can do for you

I would defiantly try another output on the 44 is the system grounded? sometimes if the ground is grounded to something on or around say your electrical meter it will cause it to act funny like said by someone before i would try to change that dish for a new style 500+ if your not getting international channels just put up a .2 or a reg 500 because you did say your 129 is on a wing dish then just run the 129 into the input on the twin of the 500 or get rid of the WA completely and try an EA .4 Also make SURE!!! using RG6 NOT!!! RG59

Sorry for the long time in between updates but I ran a brand new coax (RG6) from the receiver to a different port on the dpp44 switch and the receiver worked for about a week or so before the same thing happened again. Receiver in the other room still running steady plugged into port 1 on the switch with the power inserter. Seems like it's an issue with the switch. Can I get one of the Dish Internet Response Team members to send me out a new switch if possible?

Sorry for the long time in between updates but I ran a brand new coax (RG6) from the receiver to a different port on the dpp44 switch and the receiver worked for about a week or so before the same thing happened again. Receiver in the other room still running steady plugged into port 1 on the switch with the power inserter. Seems like it's an issue with the switch. Can I get one of the Dish Internet Response Team members to send me out a new switch if possible?

PM one of them they will need your account information....

We're not able to send switches/LNB's out. But feel free to PM your account info and I can get you taken care of

Get a tech out and see if you cant specifically request a DPP 500+ LNB with a 1000+ bracket, would eliminate the need for any switches or unecessary inserters, etc.. I would tend to agree without being onsite that it most likely is your switch but, did you check everything from port to receiver? Are there any 1ghz or bad barrels, bad connectors? These are common and simple issues that tend to go overlooked not only by installers but the good do it yourselfer as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts