Collapsible channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

calrich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2010
California
I've just returned to Dish after two years with the much more expensive Directv. One new thing I don't like is now my guide shows my regional sports networks and Sirius/XM channels in this collapsible format where I have to click to see all those channels in my guide, even those that I have selected for my favorite channel list. Is there any way to disable this feature so I can just see those channels as I scroll up or down the guide instead of having to click on it EVERY TIME?

Reactions: salyavin
It's a huge advantage for those that do not use the RSNs and the Music channels. Honestly, when they came out with that, I thought they would make more collapsible channels... Like a news group, one with mtv/cmt/gac etc. that would make it a whole lot easier, rather than making favorites list, can just collapse your group. Would make it line up a little with SlingTV some.

In fact, I think this may have been in response to many customers who had to wade through a ton of channels to get to where they want. Keep in mind, a lot of subscribers like to use the Page up and Page down while in guide to see ALL the shows they can view without accidentally skipping desired channels by jumping around by keying in the channel number, and many others just REFUSE to even attempt to make a custom list. That's just the way people are. The collapsible channels is of tremendous value to many who don't want to wade through the Sirus/XM, etc.

Be aware, that if you place your pointer (or highlight) on the collapsible position, it will automatically expand, so you don't have to press any buttons to expand.

As for me, I wish they would use expandable/collapsible on MORE of the guide, and I would love it if the channel numbering convention also were like the collapsible such as all the ESPN being 140, 140-2, etc. and also for all the kiddie or Disney channels and all the the premiums as -2, -3, etc grouped by providers. That might be better than even adding more custom lists, but I would love to have more custom lists, as well.

Reactions: D. Manley
But you should be able to disable it. I want to see my Regional Sports channels and see what's on simply by scrolling. The extra step is just a pain. It even shows up on my favorite list. I do understand your points though for those who do not set up a favorite list and do not want to scroll through all the Sirius channels for example.

Reactions: osu1991
I have made thenpointon here... Every feature on Dish, there are always people that say "we should be able to disable it". There are a couple customizable features, but for the most part, there is not. Helps keep each customers continuity, and helps keep troubleshooting easy. It's not something anyone is ever going to get, the customization... Not with Dish atleast. Or their competition.

Well....certainly makes me glad I still have my 722. I could see this being Ok on the full list, but if I go to the trouble of doing my own custom list (which I do), I obviously want to SEE the channels I go to the trouble of adding to that list. Sheesh...

100% agree and one more small reason I am happy to stay with my VIP receivers. My favorite lists are for, you guessed it, my favorite channels! I want to see them.
I have used the Hopper and it is overall a great device. But it's things like this that would bug me.
And I'm not enthralled with less personal preference choices on DISH receivers....

Using only custom lists, the compression is not a problem. Even if I go to the My Channels, or My HD Channels, it is so much better not paging through all the audio channels.

It seems to me that once you expand a compressed list, it stays expanded. As far as I am concerned, that is an option to turn compress on or off. But that is learning how the Hopper works.

It so much does not bother me that I never fathomed it would bother anyone. I think it keeps things tidy. Oh well.

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
It so much does not bother me that I never fathomed it would bother anyone. I think it keeps things tidy. Oh well.

I asked the bank teller I am friends with today if he likes the collapsible channels on his Hopper. Interesting answer was he didn't know it could be any other way for those channels. (I told him there are no collapsable channels on my receivers) I did not realize he did not have DISH prior to getting the Hopper. He didn't seem into if it should be any other way, don't think he cared, he just likes DISH over what he had....

Reactions: thomasjk
So I made four favorite folders. When I navigate to one of those stations then the channel up and down goes through that folder. How do I get the hooper to let be scroll through all the channels? It doesn't seem like just selectinf "all my channels" does that.

How do I get the hooper to let be scroll through all the channels? It doesn't seem like just selectinf "all my channels" does that.
By default in the lists, you have My Channels (all the channels you subscribe to), My HD Channels (all the HD channels you subscribe to), and All Channels (all the channels Dish offers). Then you can create extra lists where you pick the channelsi in that list.

A second depression of the Guide button will display a list of the lists. Pick All Channels and that will list all the channels Dish has. If there is a line with a "+" on the left (like for audio channels), press select on that line and those compressed item will be displayed. That setting will stay that way until you selct on the same bar with a "-" to compress those items.

Thanks. I just got off of an hour chat with Dish tech support. The multi sports pack is supposed to be part of my deal but I'm not getting them. It's no big deal right now but this has got to be squared away by football!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts