Color bar scrolling on Cox Motorola DCT6416 on component.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I'm having an issue with my Motorola DCT6416 with component video. Basically, when it's hooked up to my Panasonic Plasma TV, there will be 2 vertically scrolling horizontal bars that scroll up the screen from the bottom. It's rather subtle, but it's one of those things that once you see it you can't un-see it and it has become an eyesore.Think when you used to watch old VHS tapes and while the tracking was fixing itself you'd see an off color line go up the screen. That's what this is like.

I've run numerous tests to try and isolate the problem and have come up empty. I can't tell if the problem is with the box or the tv itself. Here's the results of my extensive testing:

1. This doesn't come up when I use HDMI, which I don't want to use because I only have 3 HDMI ports on my TV and they're being used by other devices and I don't want to keep swapping out.

2. This happens on both of my cable boxes on the Panasonic.

3. This happens on both sets of component inputs on the Panasonic.

4. This doesn't happen when I use other devices via component, such as my Xbox 360 and my Wii.

5. On my other, older Samsung CRT Slimfit HDTV, this problem doesn't seem to show up.

6. This happens on all the resolution settings.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing it? Like I said, I don't want to keep swapping out HDMI cables and I'd prefer to not have to buy an HDMI switch. Some people have said it may be an electrical issue, but if it is how would I resolve that?

Sure sounds like a ground loop to me as well. As an experiment, try grounding the two boxes together with a heavy ground strap. Make sure they are plugged into a common power strip. Also, if I remember correctly, the Motorola DVR boxes had a non polarized power plug on the equipment end. Try disconnecting the power cord from the DVR and rotating it 180 degrees before plugging it back in. Actually, try that last experiment first.

Finally, consider getting an HDMI external switch instead of messing with component. The DVR is probably your most used source component, so why is it getting the worst connection? HDMI switches are relatively inexpensive and can be remote controlled. Look at this one from monoprice For only $27.95 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4x1 HDMI 1.3b Certified Switch with CEC Engine (FULL 1080p HD) | Auto/Powered HDMI Switches

If the problem is with the grounding of the cable line, shouldn't it then mean that both televisions have the same problem, or can both lines have separate grounds? I'm asking because I don't want to have Cox come out here and tell me that everything is fine and charge me $50 for wasting their time.

Sure sounds like a ground loop to me as well. As an experiment, try grounding the two boxes together with a heavy ground strap. Make sure they are plugged into a common power strip. Also, if I remember correctly, the Motorola DVR boxes had a non polarized power plug on the equipment end. Try disconnecting the power cord from the DVR and rotating it 180 degrees before plugging it back in. Actually, try that last experiment first.

Finally, consider getting an HDMI external switch instead of messing with component. The DVR is probably your most used source component, so why is it getting the worst connection? HDMI switches are relatively inexpensive and can be remote controlled. Look at this one from monoprice For only $27.95 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4x1 HDMI 1.3b Certified Switch with CEC Engine (FULL 1080p HD) | Auto/Powered HDMI Switches
I understand that they are relatively inexpensive nowadays, but if the problem is with Cox's installation then I don't see why I need to spend money to resolve their mess up. Keep in mind this would be about the 5th problem I've had in the 21 days that I've had Cox service. I REALLY wish I could have just kept my DirecTV at this place, but the LoS issues were too big to deal with. I've had more calls and problems with them than I think I had with 4+ years of DirecTV.

I had a Motorola DCX-6512 with Comcast down in Rockford. It came with a 2 prong plug, but it was keyed at the plug end. However, my memory says it wasn't keyed at the equipment end. It was a 2 prong female that could be plugged in either way. That's what I was suggesting reversing in my previous post.

As for multiple service calls, just be glad you aren't trying to get them to install a cablecard for a TIVO. The sad fact of the matter is that they don't care and will use any excuse to get out of the house and clear the service order. This could quickly degrade into a series of installer horror stories, and that wouldn't exclude DTV or DISH either.

I was serious about the HDMI likely solving it because HDMI is a digital signal path and won't have the ground loop issue. I realize there is a cost issue there, but it would solve the problem and frankly my dear, they don't give a damn.

As for the ground issue, make sure it and the TV are using a common power strip and try the reversing trick. A power conditioner would also solve it bypassing everything through an isolation transformer, but that would cost a lot more than the HDMI switch. Back to the don't care part, I can predict that if you call them back out, they will dodge the issue and say it is a problem with your TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts