color of pillar bars

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
Either I am losing my mind (always a possibility) or the side bars in 4:3 have switched to black on my set rather than grey. This is only in VOOM. The side or pillar bars are still grey for DISH and C-Band.

Maybe I just never watched 4:3 much on VOOM or never noticed it but with ESPN the black side bars drive me crazy. I was in the regular options menu, but can't recall doing anything to change the color of the bars. Is it even possible to change the color of the bars?

Is there any way to get grey side bars? Did VOOM change it, or did I??? And are black bars more prone to burn in than grey bars???

Any help as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

For me it varies from channel to channel, I had always assumed it was the source that was dictating the color.

Trouthead said:
Either I am losing my mind (always a possibility) or the side bars in 4:3 have switched to black on my set rather than grey. This is only in VOOM. The side or pillar bars are still grey for DISH and C-Band.

Maybe I just never watched 4:3 much on VOOM or never noticed it but with ESPN the black side bars drive me crazy. I was in the regular options menu, but can't recall doing anything to change the color of the bars. Is it even possible to change the color of the bars?

Is there any way to get grey side bars? Did VOOM change it, or did I??? And are black bars more prone to burn in than grey bars???

Any help as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

Grey or black side bars depends on how the programmer is sending the signal. There is no way to change this on the VOOM stb (one way or the other). Are you sure you were getting them all gray before? I was not. Only CBS does gray in my area.

as I said

Maybe I am just losing a bit of my mind.

I didn't watch much SD stuff on VOOM. Mostly just the HD wide screen stuff. I use a C-Band dish for Networks and ESPN (untill this morning) and guess I just never really noticed the black pillars on VOOM.

Don't know how to do it but I would be interested in polling the site to see for curiosity what is the preference, black or grey?

If you set the VOOM box to output SD material non-stretched then it will use black pillar box. This will work if you have the box set to output 720p or 1080. If you tell the box to output native, then it will output 480i on SD material and your TV will add the pillarboxes or stretch depending upon how you set your TV to handle SD. Your TV is adding the grey bars. Now on local OTA HD stations they may transmit SD as 1080 or 720p and it is up to them if they are black or grey.

I did a reboot last night while looking for ESPN. It was late and I just left the light bars as they end after a reboot. Might fooling with the light bars 1081, 720, etc change the colors?

yes they will, if your TV handles SD (480) with pillars then it might put grey bars. Try putting the VOOM box in 1080i only. In this case all of the pillars on the SD material for stations OTHER than local OTA should be black.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts