Gray bars gone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks to Ilya and wbuffetta for your quick feedback!

Ilya said:
CDH, Welcome to the forum.
Upconversion of the SD channels is done in the STB, and your TV set can do an equally good job in that, or better, so you should either use Native mode over component/DVI, or a separate set of cables for SD channels (s-video/composite) if Native mode doesn't work for you for some reason.

Okay -- it would be very easy to use multiple sets of cables switched through my AV receiver (just requires me to change the source input on the TV as needed).

The implication in wbuffetta's post is that "Native" mode might try to stretch an SDTV signal to 16:9 aspect ratio for component/DVI outputs.

I'm curious as to whether using the composite or S-Video jack gives an unconverted 4:3 SDTV signal (which would therefore display full-screen on my TV). What happens for those of you connecting secondary STBs to non-HD TVs? Is there stretching/clipping?

If that's the case, I would return it immediately! You will regret if you don't. HD is all about wide-screen. You need a 16:9 HDTV-ready set. No need to pay extra for a built-in HDTV tuner if you are going VOOM.

There are two issues here: price (of course -- I got a really good deal on my Panasonic!), but perhaps more importantly size. To keep in the approximately 30" width of my current furniture I'd need to get a 26" 16:9 (the 30" 16:9 sets are a bit wide!). The only 26" 16:9 sets I've seen are a Philips and a Samsung at $600-700 (vs. $800 for an 30" widescreen). The picture on the latter was a bit soft, and reviews of the former have been pretty mixed. I believe a letter-boxed 16:9 image on my 27" diagonal 4:3 TV will be almost the same size as the full-screen image on a 26" widescreen.

CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)