Does any of the Voom channel broadcast a HD color test pattern???

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I'm trying to adjust my tv and would like to use a true HD color test pattern similar to the one that's on HD Net (which Voom doesn't have).

Does anyone know of one of the Voom channels that broadcast a usable test pattern?

JimP said:
I'm trying to adjust my tv and would like to use a true HD color test pattern similar to the one that's on HD Net (which Voom doesn't have).
Does anyone know of one of the Voom channels that broadcast a usable test pattern?
I saw some test patterns on HBO, Cinemax and on some other channels too. Usually early in the morning. The patterns I saw didn't seem HD, though they came over HD channels, so this might be sufficient for color adjustment (they worked well for me with DVE color filters). Look for SIGN OFF and OFF AIR designations in the program guide.

How about the ones in the VOOM STB? I'm not sure if those are high quality enough though.

You get to them by, pressing VOOM, Green Button, System Settings, Installation Settings, push 9-8-8.

The SD Audio & Video Test has a set of color bars and resolution paterns.
The HD Audio & Video Test has a B&W resoultion patern.

It's better to use the patterns that are transmitted. This way you can correct for all changes to the signal made by all encoders and decoders on the way.

Also note, that DVD patterns are not very helpful, since they are not HD and unless you have one of those up-converting 1080i players, you might be adjusting a wrong input in a wrong resolution.

Thanks for the post guys.

Ferdy
Problem with using Avia or DVE for color decoder adjustments is that 1080i through DVI output on my Denon 5900 is still in the SD color matrix, not HD. Unless I understand this wrong, unless I can generate a true HD signal, there is no way to accurately adjust the decoder. Now the flip side of this is that on Voom, it appears that most of the channels actually look like they're using the SD color matrix. Only 100 and a very few others look like they're using HD. So your approach may be right for the wrong reason. ;)

Ilya
I'll give it a whirl. Maybe I can contact HBO or Cinamax to find out if they have any set schedule for these patterns.

bryan27 said:
How about the ones in the VOOM STB? I'm not sure if those are high quality enough though.

You get to them by, pressing VOOM, Green Button, System Settings, Installation Settings, push 9-8-8.

The SD Audio & Video Test has a set of color bars and resolution paterns.
The HD Audio & Video Test has a B&W resoultion patern.

Bryant

Does the HD Audio & Video Test have color bars?????

Additional Post:::::::::::::::::::::::::
Just check out the test patterns referenced above. The HD Audio and Video had a flickering resolution chart. No HD color bar pattern. bummer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)