Comast HSI is BURSTING!

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Reminds me of Billy Crystal's line from City Slickers. "I didn't know there was going to be bursting!" :)

http://www.comcast.com/powerboost/

So, has anyone noticed the new bursts of speed? I thought 16Mbps was the standard DL rate in our area, not a burst rate.

How long does the burst last? Just a few seconds, or can you burst for hours?

-John

I can't say that I've noticed the bursting but I haven't done a lot of heavy downloading lately. I take it you can't benefit from bursting while uploading.

nazz said:
I can't say that I've noticed the bursting but I haven't done a lot of heavy downloading lately. I take it you can't benefit from bursting while uploading.

No benefits for uploading yet but Comcast is considering this. Also the burst only seems to last for about 30 seconds but most downloads I do are done way before that. I do get a transfer rate of about 1800KB/s for about 30 seconds which is pretty much double my Comcast internet speed.

I've also been told by one of my Verizon contacts that Verizon is looking at this technology and will be designing their own system which would go above and beyond the Comcast system. Verizon will support any file download from FTP, HTTP and yes even P2P pretty much everything and anything. They will support both upload and download burst speeds. They also are going to go above and beyond by using realtime updates of the network overall which will handle bandwidth adjustment on the fly. This means the burst will be spread to all internet connections connected to the CO. Even though you do have a dedicated connection to your CO they can design a hub type system that can tie everything together and still have a minimum connection speed to the CO for each and every house. This system from what I've been told will allow the burst to remain for the length of the download. They think they can give downloaders the chance to download say a linux DVD iso at night at about 60Mbps of available bandwidth.

Now for this to work you must use a download manager and the linux DVD iso server must allow mutiple connections that can use all available bandwidth. This will be a long way off though as it will take time to design and build and install but they think the cost vs benefit will be fine.

I would love to burst 60Mbps from the Vz newsserver. During weekday mornings, its easy to max out my 15Mbps connection to the news server with just 4 connections.

I suspect the real reason why every ISP would want bursting, is to make the online speed tests look amazing! You mention 30 seconds, and that's about the length of time of a speed test.

-John

jgantert said:
Reminds me of Billy Crystal's line from City Slickers. "I didn't know there was going to be bursting!" :)

http://www.comcast.com/powerboost/

So, has anyone noticed the new bursts of speed? I thought 16Mbps was the standard DL rate in our area, not a burst rate.

How long does the burst last? Just a few seconds, or can you burst for hours?

-John
Geee!!! All i ever get is 2.4 Mbps of speed. One time I sometimes reached 3, but no more. That's why i'm leaving for 3Mbps DSL with Verizon.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts