Combine Channel 3 RF with OTA on single coax. What works?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

M5OD-R1

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
SE Wisconsin
My goal is add satellite programming to an existing second (seldom used) TV in another room that currently has only OTA/ATSC reception.

Can I combine the channel 3 RF-modulated signal from the dish 211k with the OTA signal from my antenna and send it to my NTSC/ATSC capable TV in the adjacent room? I only have one RG6 coax cable inside the walls to that location and would prefer to not run another line to an A/B switch at the TV.

Could I use a splitter in reverse or do a need a special signal combiner like this one on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLS-Channel...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c3113d45

(if I can’t post a link, search for 230905953605 on Ebay)

The closest viewable signal to channel 3 is a nearby FOX affiliate which uses physical channel 8 (VHF high-band 180.31 MHz). Channel 3 is VHF low-band at 60.31 MHz) Doesn’t seem there would be any interference so maybe a reverse splitter would work fine. Anyone have any experience doing this?

The item you posted above will work perfect. I used the same thing a year or so ago to combine my OTA and a satellite receiver.
3 will be analog 3
everything else on digital will pass through

I'd be leery of using a splitter in reverse mode....too many things can go wrong

I use a 4 way splitter in reverse, no problems

Port 1 4dtv modulated on ch4
Port2 Dish 722 modulated ch 60&62
Port3. OTA antenna
Port4. 3 channel modulator ch21 azbox me -ch37 amino alien2- ch 50 micro hd
Output hooked to amp, out of amp to 8 way splitter

This was my solution for multiplexing several sources and 2 Dish 722s (channels 60-66).
Channels should be 2 apart. There is more space between VHF 4&5 6&7 13&UHF 14 up.
There are cable channels 6 and 7 and above 13.

Dish plus antenna. Inputs on left and outputs on right. Uses splitters and reversed ones.

DPP44#1--[power.insert]-->[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........+-------------------------------<[Out.1+2..#1]
........|...........................+--->[Ant.in.....]
........|...........................|
DPP44#2------------------>[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........|.+-----------------------------<[Out.1+2..#2]
........|.|.........................|.+->[Ant.in.....]
........|.+--->[#1.UHF/]...[4-out]>-+.|
........+----->[#2.VHF.]...[UHF/.]>---+.[split]>->DVD.in.etc.
UHF/VHF.ant--->[#3.4-in]-->[VHF..]>---->[2/3/4]>->TV
DVD.out------->[#4.-6dB]...[+10dB]>-+
....................................+-->[rf.]
DPP44#3-------------------------------->[sat]>-->Remote.622

In theory it could feed out a small signal to antenna but
I have 45 miles to TV towers and only 1 or 2 houses in that direction.
Note use of a 10dB gain amp (Radio Shack) with 4 outputs.
It may look like loop back but they are at different frequencies.

-Ken

My goal is add satellite programming to an existing second (seldom used) TV in another room that currently has only OTA/ATSC reception.

Can I combine the channel 3 RF-modulated signal from the dish 211k with the OTA signal from my antenna and send it to my NTSC/ATSC capable TV in the adjacent room? I only have one RG6 coax cable inside the walls to that location and would prefer to not run another line to an A/B switch at the TV.

Could I use a splitter in reverse or do a need a special signal combiner like this one on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLS-Channel-3-Signal-Combiner-/230905953605?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c3113d45

(if I can?t post a link, search for 230905953605 on Ebay)

The closest viewable signal to channel 3 is a nearby FOX affiliate which uses physical channel 8 (VHF high-band 180.31 MHz). Channel 3 is VHF low-band at 60.31 MHz) Doesn?t seem there would be any interference so maybe a reverse splitter would work fine. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Splitters are pretty cheap. You could always try and if it doesn't work what are you really out? 6 bucks maybe?

I used a splitter to combine TV2 out from my 722K and my antenna to a pc usb tuner. It works fine now that there aren't any analog ota signals anymore. I used analog channel 60 out from the 722K. Although, to be honest, the quality from the rf output isn't all that good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts