Combine UHF and TV2 output on single coax two way

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sdsumann

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
So basically i am wondering if i can run a uhf signal one way on a rg6 and tv modulated out of the dishnetwork box (say cable channel 80) the other way and have it work

Diplexers are used to combine/split satellite & VHF/UHF signals.

While what the OP wants to do is POSSIBLE, it is NOT recomended. Without certain special hardware, you will be transmitting your TV2 signal out your OTA antenna, or if you have cable, you'll be interfering with their system.

Either way, it is seriously frowned upon by the FCC and cable company respectively. Do NOT try to do it yourself.

i"ve done it with splitters and have no problem doing it... for one, you aren"t going to be transmitting your tv2 signal out very far.
Trust me... i tried very hard to get the TV2 output to transmit OTA over all different sizes of antennas and couldnt get much more than about 10ft or so out of it. (thought if it would work it would be cool for homes that the 2nd tv is hard to get a coax ran to, didnt work though)

Ok here is a diagram of how I would want to do it. Basically I am adding a winegard antenna in my attic of a two story home. I am not hooked up to the cable infastructure and would be broadcasting on channel 80 (or whatever i set up the rf out of the 522 to be). Although it is not recomended is it possible?

I am sorry I am at work and only have access to word, sorry for the limited drawing

View attachment Setup.doc

Here's how I do it...

Wow, that's a pretty nice piece of hardware. I do something simialair to get all my Dish modulated channels plus my own modulated channels to every TV in the house. Here's a diagram I have on my homepage showing how it's done:

wholehousevideoandir.jpg

I have a total of 5 modulated channels, three modulated by my modulator and two by my Dish 522 and 322. When I get my 622 (moveing the 522 to the guest room and turning-in the 322) I'll have a total of 6 modulated channels since the 622 modulates both TV1 and TV2 on the same cable (yipee, PIP on TV2!).

I have a closed system, though, so there's no chance of the signal getting out of the house. It works very well.

sdsumann said:
Ok here is a diagram of how I would want to do it. Basically I am adding a winegard antenna in my attic of a two story home. I am not hooked up to the cable infastructure and would be broadcasting on channel 80 (or whatever i set up the rf out of the 522 to be). Although it is not recomended is it possible?

I am sorry I am at work and only have access to word, sorry for the limited drawing

View attachment 7485

What channel is the 522 TV2 output and what channels are you trying to receive on the HDTV. Choose the 522 output far away from anything you want to receive (I'm assuming that it's frequency agile). The 522 output will be transmitted out the Winegard antenna. If you have an inline amplifier (that is unidirectional) boosting the Winegard then that would prevent the unwanted transmission.

right now the 522 output is above the uhf range. channel 79 I think setup as catv. where would I get an inline unidirectional amp? I have ordered the 8 bay uhf antenna from solidsignal and its coming on Monday.

I will really throw you for a loop if the above was possible...can you add a dish 1000 on the same line? then use a dish separator at the other end? and how and where would i insert the dish 1000 feed?

The reason i ask is i eventually am going to get the AT&T Homezone box (labeled as 622 to get further help) (if it ever comes out) and am trying to set up everything now for that.

View attachment Setup2.doc

sdsumann said:
right now the 522 output is above the uhf range. channel 79 I think setup as catv. where would I get an inline unidirectional amp? I have ordered the 8 bay uhf antenna from solidsignal and its coming on Monday.

I will really throw you for a loop if the above was possible...can you add a dish 1000 on the same line? then use a dish separator at the other end? and how and where would i insert the dish 1000 feed?

The reason i ask is i eventually am going to get the AT&T Homezone box (labeled as 622 to get further help) (if it ever comes out) and am trying to set up everything now for that.

Whoa cool!

Check the specs of a candidate amplifier to make sure it doesn't say bi-directional (which would be useful to overcome a long cable to a cable modem). You will need two diplexers (one at each end) that will keep the UHF band and the satellite band separate. Cable channel 79 is 860 to 866 MHz and the bottom of the satellite IF band is 950. I would pick a channel for the receiver TV2 output 2 higher than the highest UHF channel you want to receive on your HDTV. Here is a list of TV channel frequencies on my web site. I'm not familiar with the Homezone.

Hmm. You might want to check THIS chart which shows that Cable 79 (QQQ) is 552-558MHz. The old (not longer used for TV) UHF 79 was 860-866MHz. Remember - the 8-900MHz band was taken from OTA TV and is now for other uses.

Oh - and sdsumann, YES, you can send satellite signals down the same wire by using diplexers.

ok so i tried it last night with a $10 rca uhf/vhf rabbit ears type antenna a no go....it must get such a weak signal that when you spilt it twice it reduces to nothing.....I guess I will have to wait until monday when the winegard comes.

I got the UHF only PR 8800 see http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SPR8800

What would be a good amp for my setup? there seems to be a lot of old reading on antenna amp issues. I am about 35 miles from the uhf antennas we will see it this setup works, if not it looks like i will have to move it outside on the house. (Wife wont be happy).

Let me ask this as well...Since I have a dish network unused mass allready attached to the house how would i attach the winegard to that? U-Bolts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)