Combining off air and satellite feeds

Pick up a couple of plain ol' 2-way splitters. Connect your OTA antenna to one of the "OUT"

Now you'll be broadcasting all over the neighborhood!;):rolleyes:
Hope this helps ya.

Ed
:eureka
I tried this instead of having the splitter right at tv2 and I was essentially able to eliminate one of my make-shift antennas.

I went from having an OTA antenna for each of my tvs to only one.

I had a chuckle at your all over the neighborhood comment, after thinking it through to make sure it's not possible (unless I'm really slow and missing something). ;)

Been thinking about doing this with my 622 box. This would remove the dvr for recording local ota channels correct?
I don't think that is correct. I have a 722 and that wasn't the case. It simply puts the OTA antenna signal to both tvs from one antenna. You can still pick up the signal on the DVR local OTA channels and record them. You just see the local channels on TV2 at their actual channel numbers (ie. 12, 7, 4, 6, etc).

The only difference that I can think of is that your signal may be slightly less on the OTA antenna because it's now running through another splitter (a few db loss), but it shouldn't be enought for it to matter. Unless you were on the border of not having a good enough signal anyway.

Try it and see if it works. I'm happy (for now). And I have one less antenna for TV2 and one less coax for the kids to trip over.

I don't think that is correct. I have a 722 and that wasn't the case. It simply puts the OTA antenna signal to both tvs from one antenna. You can still pick up the signal on the DVR local OTA channels and record them. You just see the local channels on TV2 at their actual channel numbers (ie. 12, 7, 4, 6, etc).

The only difference that I can think of is that your signal may be slightly less on the OTA antenna because it's now running through another splitter (a few db loss), but it shouldn't be enought for it to matter. Unless you were on the border of not having a good enough signal anyway.

Try it and see if it works. I'm happy (for now). And I have one less antenna for TV2 and one less coax for the kids to trip over.

Did you use a standard TV splitter ?

Did you use a standard TV splitter ?
Yes - it was the one that was in use when I had cable from the cable company. It's a good quality one and I'm using all RG6 coax for the connections.

I'm glad someone pointed this out, because I'd rather maintain one good antenna than a multiple home-made ones that aren't so hot. Plus, since I'm not subscribing to the local channels (+$5/month) it saves me $60/year.

I think I am going to have to buy a DTV converter box for TV2 if I want to keep watching the local channels on that one. But I could even record the local OTA channel on TV1 and then go to the DVR and playback on TV2 the OTA signal immediately after starting the recording.

Yes - it was the one that was in use when I had cable from the cable company. It's a good quality one and I'm using all RG6 coax for the connections.

I'm glad someone pointed this out, because I'd rather maintain one good antenna than a multiple home-made ones that aren't so hot. Plus, since I'm not subscribing to the local channels (+$5/month) it saves me $60/year.

I think I am going to have to buy a DTV converter box for TV2 if I want to keep watching the local channels on that one. But I could even record the local OTA channel on TV1 and then go to the DVR and playback on TV2 the OTA signal immediately after starting the recording.

I guess I’m missing a step here.

I removed the antenna cable going into the 622 box marked Antenna and connected it to the OUT of the splitter.
I connected the cable going to my other Tv’s to IN of the splitter.

622 TV -2 connected it to the OUT of the splitter.

In setup on TV1 all ota locals are 0 in signal.

I lost all my ota on TV-1 . If this hookup is correct then I’m losing signal due to the splitter.

I tried the reverse splitter thing when I first got my 622 - like a couple of years ago and didn't get very good results. I now have a 722 but haven't tried it recently but I'll give it a go again.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the affect of using signal amplifiers and preamplifers. I have a Channel Master 7777 amplifier with a preamp so will that keep me from transmitting my TV2 signal thru my antenna? Also, is there any chance the amplifier is screwing up my results on using the reverse splitter?

Not to get off topic, but for those interested in OTA antennas check out the Clearstream series of antennas. I just replaced my Channel Master 3671 with a CS4 and got better reception with a unit 25% the size of the 3671!

I guess I’m missing a step here.

I removed the antenna cable going into the 622 box marked Antenna and connected it to the OUT of the splitter.
I connected the cable going to my other Tv’s to IN of the splitter.

622 TV -2 connected it to the OUT of the splitter.

In setup on TV1 all ota locals are 0 in signal.

I lost all my ota on TV-1 . If this hookup is correct then I’m losing signal due to the splitter.
It works the way the other guy mentioned on the 722 receiver. I don't know the difference between that and the 622.

You should have the OTA antenna going directly into the single side of a splitter and the two outputs of the splitter going to TV2 and to the receiver. Sounds like you don't have it setup that way. Just trace the path - and if the receiver and tv2 are getting a cable that is from the OTA antenna then it should work.

The splitters either combine two signals into one output, or take one input and split it between two outputs. Same splitter, just depends on what is providing the signal and what is receiving the signal. In this case one of the splitters provides output for OTA to two devices. While the other splitter provides the OTA & Satellite signal to TV2 through one coax.

Are your splitters both 2-to-1 and good quality? You shouldn't have went down to zero if things are connected right and you have good cables/splitters.

It works the way the other guy mentioned on the 722 receiver. I don't know the difference between that and the 622.

You should have the OTA antenna going directly into the single side of a splitter and the two outputs of the splitter going to TV2 and to the receiver. Sounds like you don't have it setup that way. Just trace the path - and if the receiver and tv2 are getting a cable that is from the OTA antenna then it should work.

The splitters either combine two signals into one output, or take one input and split it between two outputs. Same splitter, just depends on what is providing the signal and what is receiving the signal. In this case one of the splitters provides output for OTA to two devices. While the other splitter provides the OTA & Satellite signal to TV2 through one coax.

Are your splitters both 2-to-1 and good quality? You shouldn't have went down to zero if things are connected right and you have good cables/splitters.

Two splitters okay now it sounds better. I must of missed the 2nd splitter.
Thanks

I'll try to clarify:

Yes, to supply OTA to TV1 as well as TV2 (via the Home Distribution coax to the 2nd Tv) you do need TWO splitters. You need to use the 1st splitter in the conventional way--the coax from your antenna to the IN, then one coax running to the antenna input of your receiver from one OUT and another coax from the 2nd OUT to one of the OUTS of the 2nd splitter. Another coax from the Home Distrubution/TV2 output of the receiver to the other OUT of the 2nd splitter and connect your existing TV2 coax to the IN of the same to send both satellite and OTA signals to that 2nd TV.

Hope this helps, I dunno, I wuz gettin' confused myself, LOL.:rolleyes:

Ed

Two splitters okay now it sounds better. I must of missed the 2nd splitter.
Thanks
Good. I guess it was worth being 'long-winded'. :)

Looks like 1 have (4) total splitters behind my receiver - (2) from the original install and (2) more to make the OTA single antenna work for both tvs. Though I had the other (2) splitters already in use on tv2 - so I just moved them and rounded up a few more coax cables to make all the short connections.

Good. I guess it was worth being 'long-winded'. :)

Looks like 1 have (4) total splitters behind my receiver - (2) from the original install and (2) more to make the OTA single antenna work for both tvs. Though I had the other (2) splitters already in use on tv2 - so I just moved them and rounded up a few more coax cables to make all the short connections.

Yep, it works fine and I checked another TV in the RV and no retransmission.
Where out in the country so It wouldn't have matter anyway unless the FCC drove by.
Thanks
Jeff

Super Home Node

Another option is to use a Super Home Node instead of the "reverse splitter". The one I have has two inputs, one for CATV that I use for the Home Distribution output from a 722, and one for the antenna. The SHN combines both signals with amplification and prevents the (low) possibility of transmitting the signal. It has 4 outputs.

To the OP, your question sounded much like my setup. I have my antenna fed directly into the SHN along with the rf modulated Home Distribution output. Then, one of the outputs goes to the antenna in of the 722 and the others run to other TV's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)