Combining Satellite and Cable TV Diplexer ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.

Though I would have like to run Quad shielded RG-6 all over the house, that is quite a task I'm not ready for.

Since I already had several rooms Cable TV ready I just connected the satellite to my existing cable lines and have had no issues, I have rabbit ears for my local OTA but the picture is mediocre at best and I have to make adjustments often.

My cable internet package includes basic cable and I would like to combine signals to a Diplexer so that I can benefit from al the extra channels available, I've included a drawing of the diplexer setup ( see attachment ).

Here's my question, if I add a Diplexer will it allow a signal from my STB to travel back to power my motor and LNB ? Just wan't to be sure.

By the way Radio Shack prices are outrageous $ 20, I can get a RCA diplexer or comparable for $ 3 to $ 7 for commercial grade online.

Attachments

• diplexer_drawing.jpg
    diplexer_drawing.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,128

Here's my question, if I add a Diplexer will it allow a signal from my STB to travel back to power my motor and LNB ? Just wan't to be sure.

I can't say for definate as I haven't personally used one and tried to move a dish, but for 1 it'd have to pass the 13/18v for V/H anyway right? and 2, this site shows an EA D-3000 to have a return loss spec. and DC pass spec. http://www.starlink-dss.com/D3000specs.htm

By the way Radio Shack prices are outrageous $ 20, I can get a RCA diplexer or comparable for $ 3 to $ 7 for commercial grade online.

Yes, rad shack has all ways been way overpriced IMO. That same site sells 2 different diplexers, $3-$6 depending on the version you want.

Radio Shack used to sell dual LNBs for $200. They know that customers compare prices on the main item and often then buy the accessories at the same time without always scrutinizing those purchases.

It's the same everywhere. I bought a Lexmark printer for $25, but when I saw that it needed a different cable, they wanted $35 for the cable. I drove to Wallmart and bought the same printer cable for $9, but I lost money on the deal, because the value of my time driving 5 miles further to Wallmart, parking, finding the cable, waiting in line and returning home was worth more than the $26 I saved.

I just bought 100 diplexers for $1 each plus shipping. A diplexer is a diplexer, though Radio Shack used to sell "high performance" diplexers for $30.

Last edited:
All diplexers pass DC and the 22Mhz tone signals on their Sat leg. I have no experience at using any DiSEqC mini-dish movers, but if they work the way I think they do, then I'd expect them to work with any diplexer.

The problem with the diplexer that brianw20 found is that the cable/ant pass band starts at 40Mhz, whereas cable box and modem return signals can run as low as 10Mhz. The cheap Holland diplexers roll off at 5Mhz, as do several other cheap diplexres.

Don't concern yourself with "return loss". It is a difficult concept to explain, and is generally of no consequence.

Great !!!!!

Any particular brand that is better than any other, or a Diplexer I should stay away from would be helpfull.

Stay away from Holland brand it's Cheap, Correct ?

Just mentioned this to my brother and he's all for it, on a cloudy rainy day when Satellite signal blackouts occur it be great just to switch to cable tv + sports on ESPN , gotta have that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)