combining satellite and OTA signal in a single coax

danielsender

Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Hi,

I have an FTA setup with a rotor and a 3500S pansat receiver all working fine. I would like to add a regular OTA antenna to get local channels but I only have a single coax line. So I have a few questions:
1. What would be the most convenient way to combine and select which service is enabled?
2. Do I need some DC blocking devices?
3. Can I use diseqc to do that?
4. How do I split the wiring at the input of the receiver and TV receiver?
5. Since I'm in a marginal area, can I also install a mast amplifier?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

What would be the most convenient way to combine and select which service is enabled?
If the frequencies don't overlap you can use 2 diplex filters.

Do I need some DC blocking devices

I would make sure the OTA side diplex filter has DC blocking or you can purchase them after the fact.

How do I split the wiring at the input of the receiver and TV receiver

The diplex filter has 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

Since I'm in a marginal area, can I also install a mast amplifier

If you need it.

I think that TV UHF used to go up to channel 83 which was at 890MHZ, but I remember that they limited that to channel 69 max (806MHz). I guess that it wasn't changed when digital TV was introduced. So I don't know if the IF range of the LNB would get as low as 900MHz, but isn't it somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1GHz? Are these diplexers sharp enough to select such close spectra?

Daniel

IF range is 950-2150 or so. Diplexers cut off somewhere between that and the upper range of the UHF-TV band. And yes, it's a sharp cutoff. Everything above the cutoff goes to the SAT side, below it goes to the RF side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)