Combining signals

kdallavicenza

Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Calgary
I have a club that needs the following set up and I have no idea how to accomplish it. The have several TVs and want to access three sources with each TV. They have cable, satellite and karaoke. Right now I have it temporarily set up with a manual switcher that allows it to switch between cable, satellite and karaoke. In other words they can either have cable on all of the TVs, satellite or karaoke. I have seen other bars that have the TVs individually switchable. Can you tell me how this is done. I figure I should be replacing the three way switch with something else but I have no idea what.

You could use a 3 channel modulator where your cable box is on one channel, sat on another , and karaoke on another. Then you just change each TV to the source channel you want. Channel Plus makes these. They also make some models with MTS stereo, (these are either 2 or 4 channel modulators), but they are quite a bit more expensive than the mono models. http://www.channelplus.com/products_rf.html#modulators

Last edited:
Lynskyn gave you good advise, however, you may also need whats called a low pass filter to block out unwanted cable signals on the channel you set the modulator to. If you don't use one, the cable signal will bleed through and cause interference. The Aska 3 Channel Modulator is avalible for $120 and should work well. You will need 1 channel for each video source. So if there is only one sat. box and one karaoke unit, then one dual ch. modulator will do the trick. I think they are around $80 or so. Good luck...

What about using standard RCA video cables

One of the owners of the club says that a friend of his who runs a home theatre business tells him that all he needs to do is run rca cables from the video out of the Karaoke machine to the TVs and it should work. The first TV is about 15 feet when you consider that you have to go up a bout 5 feet into the ceiling and then another 10 or so to get to the first TV and then using a "Y" jack you would connect the next TV which would be about 30 or so feet away and so on. I know trying to send audio that distance is a ridiculous concept but what about video ? I have never tried to run anything like that before. Do you think this would actually work?

Kenny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)