Combined cable & satellite feed

Typically not. There are some exceptions but they are disappearing fast as both sides are encroaching on the other in terms of the frequencies used.

I use them often to combine a cable modem and satellite tv connection
This is becoming increasingly dangerous as DOCSIS frequencies expand into satellite's IF territory and satellite's use of MoCA becomes more prevalent in DBS installations. Using diplexers with DIRECTV has been a no-no for several years.

That's because they band stack. Otherwise, not a problem. Just know which frequencies you're working with.
Your only considering the problems that existed five years ago. More recently, each service is encroaching further into the bands used by the other. DOCSIS 3.0 (cable modem) can go up to 1GHz now and cable MoCA goes up to 1.5GHZ or so.

On the DBS side, DIRECTV uses MoCA E-band centered at 550MHz (UHF 18-35) and DISH uses MoCA F-band centered around 700MHz (UHF 44-69). Unlike the modulated distribution systems of days gone by, you don't get to choose the frequencies that the new technology uses.

Exactly. So as long as they don't conflict, you're good to go. I use them all the time on condos where they only have 1 line going to the unit but want a single receiver and already have a modem (docsis2). If one of the changes in the future they may be out of luck, but for now all good.

Using diplexers with DIRECTV has been a no-no for several years.
really?
Then tell that to Access Media 3. When I lived in my apartment there was only one line running from the junction box to the apartments and they used diplexers all the time to bring both Crapcast internet and Directv into the apartment

really?
Then tell that to Access Media 3. When I lived in my apartment there was only one line running from the junction box to the apartments and they used diplexers all the time to bring both Crapcast internet and Directv into the apartment

Was that only for sd Directv feeds Ice? HD and internet generally will interfere with each other.

If you've got a contract with the cableco, you might be able to write some parameters into the contract that will allow you to do things that others cannot safely assume. WIthout that ability, each provider will eventually take over most of the bandwidth.

If you've got a contract with the cableco, you might be able to write some parameters into the contract that will allow you to do things that others cannot safely assume. WIthout that ability, each provider will eventually take over most of the bandwidth.
Well this is about as clear as mud.

Well this is about as clear as mud.
Suffice it to say that the cable company is not compelled in any way to make provisions for any existing loopholes that individuals might choose to use their coax for. They will likely put a punitive stop to anything that interferes with the delivery of services to other customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)