Combining two antennas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GaaMoo

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Delaware
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with the signal from my antenna(UHF only, yagi style) and I'm pretty sure I need an amplifier. I already have an indoor antenna with a built in amplifier, though. Is there some way I could use its amplifier instead of buying one? I don't need a perfect solution, just a cheap, simple one.

Thanks.

Amplifiers don't magically solve DTV reception issues except under very narrow circumstances, long cable downleads (> 150 ft.) and service to several TVs being the most common. For another thing, amps used in set-top antennas tend to be very noisy. DTV tuners hate noise, and it would take a fair amount of technical knowledge to salvage the set-top amp for use with an external antenna and make sure the amp doesn't present a shock hazard. IOW, the hassle involved isn't very likely to be worthwhile.

You may need a better antenna, or perhaps the issue is caused by something simple. Maybe a cable or balun has gone bad and needs to be replaced, and that would be an inexpensive fix. A good analysis starts with a look-see at what your local signals are like. So head on over to TVFool, complete a post-transition report for your address, save the report to your computer, and then attach it to a follow-up message containing the make and model number of the UHF antenna. If you don't know that information, a sharp picture of the antenna in good light will help. Also, is this setup for just one TV, or several? Let us know.

There's probably a cost-effective solution here. Unfortunately, though, it's going to cost a little bit more than a few spare parts!

A much better solution

I would recommend that you do like what I did. A year ago, I set up a central multimedia access panel where all of the TV, Internet, phone, and whole house audio connections were made and fed to all areas of my house - the bedrooms, living room, garage, kitchen and the patio. I installed a Leviton 5 x 8 Multi-Switch which takes in four satellite feeds and one OTA feed and sends the mixed outputs to 8 TV connections. The 5 x 8 switch does have a built-in amplifier so there's no need for an external amplifier. In fact, I tried to connect the OTA amplifier output to the switch and many OTA stations got wiped out (not realizing then that the multi-switch has its own amplifier). I took the external amplifier off (routing the OTA antenna directly to the switch) and all of the HDTV stations came back at full strength. You must use a diplexer at the end of each TV output or you will not get much of anything (at best - two or three OTA channels). The diplexer separates the combined satellite-OTA signals into one output for satellite receivers (FTA or subscription-based) and one for the TV set. If you need to feed more than one device at each connection such as an FM tuner or a VCR, you will need to connect a splitter at the TV output of the diplexer. I used this in my living room to connect an HDTV STB tuner and the FM tuner with no detectable loss. If you need fewer than 8 outputs, you can use a 3 in-4 out switch. I don't know if the 3 x 4 switch has an amplifier or not and if it needs a power supply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts