Comcast Betas Aggressively Uninteresting New Streaming Service

It seems to me that Comcast is getting ready to match Apple's alleged new AppleTV and associated streaming service.

At this point, everyone is able to stream some semblance of their video content on their own wifi network. The point is that it requires contractual changes to go outside of wifi (companies like Comcast and DirecTV already do this for certain channels).

So, while on the face of it Comcast looks like they're doing a whole lot of nothing, remember that their video subscription base is in free-fall while their Internet services is growing. In the short term, this move allows Comcast to advertise more flexibility with their service (though for those of us who know the technicals, this is a great, big "meh"). In the long term, they may be setting up for competitive advantage.

The only way you can use this service on your TV is hook up a computer to it, no Roku/Apple TV support, only watchable on Mobile devices and only in your home and Computers.

What idiot came up with this idea?

So, while on the face of it Comcast looks like they're doing a whole lot of nothing, remember that their video subscription base is in free-fall while their Internet services is growing.
The numbers tell a different story. In Q1, Comcast lost only 8,000 video customers. Not a particularly large percentage of 22.375 million total video customers.

The only way you can use this service on your TV is hook up a computer to it, no Roku/Apple TV support, only watchable on Mobile devices and only in your home and Computers.

What idiot came up with this idea?

Just released in my area and I will be starting the trial out here probably tomorrow. The promos show it is compatible to steam on all the popular devices like Apple TV, Roku , Xbox and PlayStation among others.

Just released in my area and I will be starting the trial out here probably tomorrow. The promos show it is compatible to steam on all the popular devices like Apple TV, Roku , Xbox and PlayStation among others.

From Comcast press release-

With Stream TV, users can watch live TV on laptops, tablets and phones in their home. In addition, the service includes thousands of on demand movies and shows that can be watched at home or on-the-go over Wi-Fi, and includes access to TV Everywhere and a cloud DVR.

No mention of Roku type devices.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...lable-in-greater-boston-region-300176740.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts