Comcast & Big Ten Network

jpa25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Comcast has come to agreement with the Big Ten Network:

ESPN - Big Ten Network, cable carrier reach deal - College Football

"programming that starts Aug. 15 on expanded basic cable in states with Big Ten schools"

"Outside of the region, Comcast has the option to not offer the channel at all, or to put it on its sports and entertainment package or other tiers of service."

Any one with inside information on where this channel would be offered? I'm in Massachusetts (Boston area) and would love to see it, even if it is on the premium sports tier.

I read that it'll be on the digital tier in Philly, but didn't see anything about the sports tier in my area... That'd be a real snub to NFL Net if Comcast sticks Big 10 in digital, but leaves NFL in the sports tier...

Allegedly, the coNcast up the street from where I am at getting 10 new HD channels tomorrow: (source: Multichannel News)
Big Ten (as we are discussing here)
AMC, Fox News, FX, Speed, History, Animal Planet, CNN, Weather, and NHL.

Since we are in that Central PA region, I am HOPING it will launch in my comcast system as well; if so, will be fun at work (since we use Concast digital to showcase our HDTV's)... and a little frustrating at home (since I went Dish HD Abs and only kept the comcast limited basic - will be a while til I get those fox stations at home and not til next year for Big Ten)

Now on Comcast E-town, PA (would assume the same is true for the rest of south central PA.)

Channel 59 - Analog basic (which is funny, this was a channel reclaimed for digit just 6 months ago)
Channel 191 - Digital HD
Channel 257 - Digital SD

but sadly not the other new stations launching in Harrisburg/Hershey - guess we are too far away

Channel 285 in the Boston area. Not sure if its basic cable or just the sports package. I have the sports package already; that is why I'm not sure. No mention of it on the local comcast channel listings yet.

Seattle getting it!

Morning!

Rep. here told me that the Seattle area getting Big Ten on Aug. 27th both HD & SD along with (big WHOOPEE) Tennis channel HD. They will be in the sports tier package!:mad:

Thxs!

Eric

My understanding is that the Big Ten Network is in the basic tier only in states that have Big 10 teams. It's probably in the sports tier in other locations. The Big 10 required that Comcast put the channel into the basic tier in all states that are part of the conference, but stipulated they could put it in whatever tier they chose for all other states.

Why

Just found the the Big 10 channel is on ch 261 here in Southern AZ,why? unless they show back to back Rose Bowl losses to Big 10 team from PAC 10 teams :)

Because, believe it or not, Arizona as well as all the non Big10 states have lots of alumni and past resident fans that love their teams just as much as we love our Pac10 teams. Think of all the Michigan residents that moved to Tucson to escape the hard winters.

The SD feed of the Big Ten Network has been available in NJ since 8/12. It's part of the Sports Entertainment Package on ch.257. The overflow channels will also be available sometime later this week on ch.801-804. So all we're missing here is the HD channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts