Comcast Cares

Umm... that news is a bad thing, not a good thing. Comcast is not only blocking content, but content being streamed by certain devices. That is absurd!

Actually it reads like Comcast wants to be compensated for providing authentication. That seems reasonable to me.

Authentication to what?

That you are paying customer of the channel in question. Did you even read the article?

From the second paragraph:

Roku is pleased to inform the Commission that effective November 25, 2014, Roku and Comcast entered into an agreement pursuant to which Comcast has, among other things, agreed to authenticate the HBO GO and Showtime Anytime apps on Roku video streaming devices for Comcast's subscribers whose subscriptions entitle them to access the content and services made available through such apps

That you are paying customer of the channel in question. Did you even read the article?

From the second paragraph:
I think you are reading that wrong. Comcast wasn't trying to stop piracy. They were trying to get a slice of the pie from Roku to allow Comcast subs to use a Roku.

Why should they get paid to authenticate a subscription?
I was wondering the same thing. My daughter switched from Comcast for this very reason to UVerse. She uses Roku a lot & got frustrated about the blocking of HBOGO on Comcast. For competitive reasons you'd think Comcast would want to encourage the freedom to use any device through their subscription.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)