[COMCAST] Comcast DVR vs Dish Network DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

opus724

Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
I'm new to Comcast - been using Dish for the past several years but I just moved to a building where Dish is not available. Any comments on Comcast's DVR vs Dish? Any quirks I should watch out for?

A few questions I have already -

1. How do I jump forward or back several hours in the Guide? I see how to jump by day, but not by hours.

2. The DVR makes it easy to set the start time 5 minutes earlier, but I don't see much use for that - would like to be able to set it 1 minute earlier, but I don't see any easy way to accomplish that.

3. Does the DVR go into standby mode after a certain period of time, or is it always on? Is it recommended to turn it off periodically?
Will it automatically turn itself on to record?

4. Any way to search based on an entry in the Guide?

Also, I've noticed there's a slight delay when going from pause to play, something that didn't occur with Dish. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

opus724 said:
I'm new to Comcast - been using Dish for the past several years but I just moved to a building where Dish is not available. Any comments on Comcast's DVR vs Dish? Any quirks I should watch out for?

A few questions I have already -

1. How do I jump forward or back several hours in the Guide? I see how to jump by day, but not by hours.

2. The DVR makes it easy to set the start time 5 minutes earlier, but I don't see much use for that - would like to be able to set it 1 minute earlier, but I don't see any easy way to accomplish that.

3. Does the DVR go into standby mode after a certain period of time, or is it always on? Is it recommended to turn it off periodically?
Will it automatically turn itself on to record?

4. Any way to search based on an entry in the Guide?

Also, I've noticed there's a slight delay when going from pause to play, something that didn't occur with Dish. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

I'll answer according t0o my usage of the Motorola HD DVR they have..
1. It depends on how you are viewing, the default is pretty similar to DISH, there is no jump function, but you just hit a button a few times. It stores about a week in advance from what i can tell.
2. You can actually do it by minute (before and after, each separately set)
3. It will turn on my itself, but most people suggest you leave it on, otherwise there is a bug (maybe it was fixed) that puts the box in mute.
4. yes there are a few search and sorting tools in the guide.

Just talked to a Comcast tech, feels like I'm in a time warp and must be missing something.

Apparently there's no way to set a fully manual recording? Can set a start time manually, but then have options for 30 minutes - 3 hours duration, cannot set specific end time?

When setting a recording from the Guide, there's no way to manually amend the start/end times, even after the recording has been set? Restricted to only the 5-10-15 whatever minutes early or late?
There's no way to set a recording from the Guide and have it start 1 minute early?

Dish Network and Tivo have had these capabilities for years, how could Comcast possibly put out such a primitive DVR?

opus724 said:
Just talked to a Comcast tech, feels like I'm in a time warp and must be missing something.

Apparently there's no way to set a fully manual recording? Can set a start time manually, but then have options for 30 minutes - 3 hours duration, cannot set specific end time?

When setting a recording from the Guide, there's no way to manually amend the start/end times, even after the recording has been set? Restricted to only the 5-10-15 whatever minutes early or late?
There's no way to set a recording from the Guide and have it start 1 minute early?

Dish Network and Tivo have had these capabilities for years, how could Comcast possibly put out such a primitive DVR?

If you have the Motorola 6412 with I-Guide you have all of the options you list. You can set a manual recording to whatever times you want it to start and end. You can schedule to start from the guide from 1 to 15 minutes early and end from 1-10 minutes and then 5 minute increments (15-20-25) and on up to hours if you want.

The DVR is not primitive, the tech is out of touch. If you didn't get a guide to tell you how to do all this, here is a .pdf of it.

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/downloads/URMD2.pdf

I've been using the moto 6412 III for a couple of months now after having a dish dvr for about a year. I liked the dish dvr a lot, but switched to Comcast for numerous reasons. I'm now used to the moto dvr and have found that while it is not as simple to use as dish, it suits my needs.

Here is a link to some good info and remote programming for the moto dvr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6412

The remote programming is especially good for the 30 second skip, tuner swap, and mute functions for the remote.

Hope this helps

Bobby said:
If you have the Motorola 6412 with I-Guide you have all of the options you list.

I have the 3412, perhaps that's the problem? Wonder why they'd give me an older model??

The 3412 is a "newer" model. It is essentially a 6412 that is all digital, no analog tuner. I'm sure the system works exactly the same as the 6412. Give it a try.

Just talked to a Comcast tech who told me the 3412 is actually a newer model, with HDMI connection, etc. But apparently there's still no option for fully manual programming, and you can't schedule anything beyond the term of the Guide. If true, this is a hige drawback. Maybe it's time to go Tivo. Sigh.

The biggest problem I have is the delay when pressing buttons on the reote. 5-10 seconds when going to FF, or switiching from FF1 to FF2 or going back to play. And the 2-3 minute dropback when going from FF2-3-4 back to play. This is pretty intolerable. Am I maybe missing something, or do others not experience this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts