COMCAST digital conversion installation

lukeey

Original poster
May 2, 2010
Peoria, Illinois
Hello,

I need to address the COMCAST conversion. COMCAST provides one set top box, and two DTA's for my conversion. I need three electrical outlets, and will have three ugly boxes if COMCAST's method is used. I experienced the same frustration with AT&T when I installed DSL. I managed a clean installation with a filter in the D-Mark box rather than have filters hanging all over the house.
I am looking for a clean, reliable, affordable configuration that will support the existing analog, future digital, and possibly
satellite architectures if COMCAST does not work out.
Questions:
1. Will a diplexer support analog, digital, and/or satellite signals?
2. May one install one DTA prior to a splitter and provide
support for the conversion to the existing infrastructure
outbound of the splitter?
3. Will a set top box function downstream of a DTA connected
in series?
4. Do splitters support analog, digital, and satellite universally,
or do unique splitters need to be acquired?
5. Would amplification be required for four 25' runs outboard
of a splitter?

Hello,

I need to address the COMCAST conversion. COMCAST provides one set top box, and two DTA's for my conversion. I need three electrical outlets, and will have three ugly boxes if COMCAST's method is used. I experienced the same frustration with AT&T when I installed DSL. I managed a clean installation with a filter in the D-Mark box rather than have filters hanging all over the house.
I am looking for a clean, reliable, affordable configuration that will support the existing analog, future digital, and possibly
Questions:
in series?
of a splitter?

Those DTA's are not ugly, they are small and can be hidden behind the TV with only an IR showing. They have small set top boxes for your first TV, that will provide much more content with ON DEMAND then you will ever get without a box or with satellite. Embrace the change.

With satellite, you will be required to have a set top box at EACH TV.

Will one DTA installed prior to a splitter in the basement support the existing configuration after the conversion? (Eliminates two power requirements.) If needed will the set top box function installed serially downstream of the DTA to support a TIVO Series II?

Will one DTA installed prior to a splitter in the basement support the existing configuration after the conversion? (Eliminates two power requirements.) If needed will the set top box function installed serially downstream of the DTA to support a TIVO Series II?

No, you will need a DTA at each TV because you will be changing channels with them. Don't know about TIVO, you will need to contact Comcast. Do series II's take cablecards? That might be an option.

The set top box will allow you to get all the FREE On Demand content (movies, TV shows,etc.). The DTA just allows the encrypted signal through to your TV, giving you access to the programming you had previously. They are all free, so, go with the box for your main watching TV. You will have new remotes for each TV.

Hello,

With Satellite you will also need boxes.. With over the air signal you will also need boxes (unless you get a digital ready TV, in that case comcast will not need a box either with use of a cable card)

Digital is the future, Analog is simply wasted space. In the same spot 1 Analog channel is up to 20 Digital channels can be put.

Why would you need a diplexer for comcast?

You can feed the other TVS from a single DTA, however they will all be watching the same channel. As the DTA has only a single tuner, so if you do not mind watching the same thing on all TVS then you can run a splitter from the output of the box.

in series?

No, as the DTA only outputs Channel 3. No other channel leaves the DTA (or set top for that matter) So you will not be able feed your set top from your DTA (if that is what you were asking)

Splitters are rated based on the Freq they handle. Most all modern splitters handle at least up to 1ghz. Your Satellite splitters will need to handle up to 3ghz I believe. Comcast will provide whatever splitter is needed.

of a splitter?

Depends on a few factors. 1. The output level from the Set Top or DTA. 2. The Splitter type used (different size splitters have different loss) 3. The size of cable used (RG59, RG6 etc) And the length of the runs.

I received the set top box, and both DTA's. What a thrill. Each TV required a unit and additional power. Two of the three tv's are digital capable, but still need the box. Tivo Series II apparently requires a splitter. Comc*** has the same cluttered installation as DSL installation attempted until I got the filter in the D-Mark. One unit at the entry of the residence with one power requirement would be outstanding. What brand splitter would you recommend. It appears I need two. One 3 way to replace the existing splitter I have, but supports digital, and one 2 way splitter referred to as (RF splitter) by Tivo documentation. Thanks in advance.

I received the set top box, and both DTA's. What a thrill. Each TV required a unit and additional power. Two of the three tv's are digital capable, but still need the box. Tivo Series II apparently requires a splitter. Comc*** has the same cluttered installation as DSL installation attempted until I got the filter in the D-Mark. One unit at the entry of the residence with one power requirement would be outstanding. What brand splitter would you recommend. It appears I need two. One 3 way to replace the existing splitter I have, but supports digital, and one 2 way splitter referred to as (RF splitter) by Tivo documentation. Thanks in advance.

One unit at the entry would do no good unless you are ok with watching the same thing on every tv at the same time.

One unit at the entry would do no good unless you are ok with watching the same thing on every tv at the same time.

And you could not change the channels, unless you went close to the box every time you wanted to.

And yes, these are electronics, each one requires a power source. You seem completely baffled by this requirement. Get a power strip or two....

And you could not change the channels, unless you went close to the box every time you wanted to.

And yes, these are electronics, each one requires a power source. You seem completely baffled by this requirement. Get a power strip or two....

Well he could buy equipment that would allow him to change his channel. They have remote systems that work without IR.

I agree, get a power strip, make it a surge protector while you are at it.

As for splitters, I like ChannelPlus. google the name, you'll find them all over.