Comcast DVR is a turkey!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

halapeno

Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I bought a new HD TV and figured I would switch from Directv because Comcast does not require a 2 year contract to upgrade to HD.

I couldn't believe how much of a turkey the Comcast HD DVR was compared to both satellite services. Their basic cable box had more functionality than the HD DVR! The HD DVR nad no way to view a "favorites" list, no way to search for your favorite program and worst of all, no commercial skip button! I called Comcast tech support and asked if they had another DVR available that would emulate basic Tivo functionality, but their reply was "what you see is what you get".

Well, the Comcast cable TV lasted less than 24 hours in my house before I pulled out all the cable boxes and DVR and rewired the house for Directv. With such antiquated software, I cannot understand how they can even compete with the satellite services.

Which DVR did you get, Motorola or Scientific Atlanta? I have DirecTV now but when I had Comcast the Motorola DVR had a customizable favorites list and a title search function. I think there was a way to get 30 second skip on it as well but I never bothered. If you weren't able to access those it sounds like something wrong with the box... That said, the DirecTV DVR is a whole lot better and the channel lineup is better too, just wanted to put the facts out there.

I bought a new HD TV and figured I would switch from Directv because Comcast does not require a 2 year contract to upgrade to HD.

I couldn't believe how much of a turkey the Comcast HD DVR was compared to both satellite services. Their basic cable box had more functionality than the HD DVR! The HD DVR nad no way to view a "favorites" list, no way to search for your favorite program and worst of all, no commercial skip button! I called Comcast tech support and asked if they had another DVR available that would emulate basic Tivo functionality, but their reply was "what you see is what you get".

Well, the Comcast cable TV lasted less than 24 hours in my house before I pulled out all the cable boxes and DVR and rewired the house for Directv. With such antiquated software, I cannot understand how they can even compete with the satellite services.

I won't argue that the Comcast box is a turkey. I have a bug list as long as my arm. But, as commadore_dude mentioned, you really need to say which box you had. If you had come talk to us before ripping it out, we could have told you of sites that will describe how to add back the functionality you say is missing, such as 30 second skip, favorites, etc.

My Motorola box has all the things you describe as missing.

Comcast Turkey

It was a Scientific Atlanta. I called tech support and they verified that those functionalities did not exist on this box and that no other DVR was available in the Houston area.